Toro Personal Pace Mower??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Toro Personal Pace Mower

It's only two years old and the personal pace system isn't working. It won't kick in gear at all and take off. The personal pace isn't working, so has anyone else had this problem? What do I need to do in order to get it going? Thanks for the help!!!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If you havent adjusted the cable then do it. The cable I am referring to is going to be pulled when you push the propell thing in. Loosen the clamp that holds it and pull the housing back as needed then tighten. If that dont fix it buy a new belt for it.

3. ztrguy

from NE FL

I'll give that a try. I figured it was the transmission and gears giving me problems.

4. curtislawncare

curtislawncare LawnSite Member

How often do you use it? Two years old is pretty good if you're doing multiple lawns with it.

We've been doing small lawns with the Toro personal pace for over two years now and at most we've had them last 4 to 5 months.

We've finally "moved up" to Toro's commercial line and we have mixed feelings about it. I'm going to make seperate comparison post about it shortly.

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yep, I used to have a PP mower. Had the same problem. I used it very little but I did use it. Now.....after I totally stripped all that junk off...I got a jam up push/trim mower that will sd,bag or mulch.

6. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

yeah just loosen the bolt and with pliers pull up the cable mine works fine now the cable just pulls on the belt for power simple but effective

7. ztrguy

from NE FL

Tried doing as you guys said, but it still doesn't work. I hear and feel gears grinding and slipping. I guess I need some new gears.

8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

What do you mean about mixed feelings with the two toros?

9. curtislawncare

curtislawncare LawnSite Member

We've been using the Toro PP mowers since we started doing lawns over two years ago and everything was fine. Everyone we ran into wondered why we were using these mowers and said we should purchase the commercial grade push Toro.

Well, at the begining of this season we were having a rough time with wet grass becuase of abnormal rain patterns and thought maybe it was the quality of the PP mower. So, we purchased a commercial grade at $1,200 thinking that everything was going to be wonderfull because obviously we were using a low grade mower (as others were telling us).

To make a long story short, the $1,200 mower is heavier and not as agile as the $369 mower(cutting around obstacles is a *****!), doesn't have the convient PP mechanism, requires more maintenance, doesn't cut wet grass any better, and can't cut as high as the cheaper mower.

I think it does give a slightly better cut if the grass isn't too high or wet. Still, I don't see what all the fuss was about us using the cheaper mower. The $1,200 Toro is great for long stretches of straight cuts but beyond this I prefer the $369 Toro.

10. ztrguy

from NE FL

Guess I'll have to try and get some parts ordered.