Toro Personal Pace Noise

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Duper, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Duper

Duper LawnSite Member

I have a new Toro 20038 w/ the Personal Pace system. When I start to push the bar to activate some forward movement I can sometimes hear a fast clicking sound (almost like gears slipping or something).

Also, when I'm mowing I think I can hear a lighter version of that same clicking under the rumble of the engine. There's no degradation in performance or anything (as far as I can tell)... but I'm not so sure those are 'normal' operating sounds.

ARE those normal sounds? I've only had the mower for a few hours of use.

Thanks!!

-Duper

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

the new Toro steel deck POS mowers were not greased from the factory. Take off your drive wheels and grease them, you may still have a clicking which can be normal (just how the self propelled works)

3. Duper

Duper LawnSite Member

Thanks! I'll try that. My dealer provides me w/ free servicing after 5 hours of use (oil change and what not), so I think I'll pass along the request to them. :cool:

4. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

THIS ISN"T A STEEL DECK MOWER - the drive wheels on this unit have grease points - use em'

5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

your right it is not a steel deck, but is a POS toro

6. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Thats true, BUT they are different trannys between the steel & the cast

7. Duper

Duper LawnSite Member

Well, it cuts and mulches GREAT - and won't use it but a couple times a week.

What don't you guys like about it? :confused:

I'm sure if I used it day in and day out it would only last a couple years, but it's not rated for commercial use so... :rolleyes: as to be expected I think.

8. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

I bought two of the 22" Toro Personal Pace mowers. They are working excellent for what we need them for. Originally I was sold on buying commercial mowers (Honda Xenoy). My guys were tearing up cables and wheels so badly that I decided why spend the extra money.

9. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

POS - i was reading as Preferred Operating System. There is nothing wrong with these units - you said so yourself

10. Duper

Duper LawnSite Member

Ahh... using the term "Personal Operating System" for a mower is new to me.

I figured it meant: Piece Of S#!^

:p