Toro personal pace/ super recycler problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, Sep 24, 2006.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro personal pace super recycler. I can't remember the model number, but it was like $550 at an ACE hardware.

Anyway, Friday the drive system started acting up. It would not pull at all, but if you lifted the back end up, it would turn the wheels like usual. I didn't have a chance to take the cover off and look as it started pouring when I finished my last account. I am at the fire station today, but hope to go home and find out what is wrong with it in the morning before I have to head out.

Can anyone give me some ideas? I appreciate the help guys!!

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If the belt tension is OK, check this...There is a little shear pin in the drive cogs that can wear out or just come loose and fall out on those. It should be a 25-50.00 repair with shop time.

3. 1135osborn

1135osborn LawnSite Member

Just loosen the bolt up that holds the cable on the handle and adjust cable alittle bit it will be fine if that don't work check belt easy fix

4. wildncrazyguy

wildncrazyguy LawnSite Member

Can you or anyone on here elaborate on this adjustment? I have the same issue the original poster was having. Hope he got it fixed by now... My Toro personal pace, I think is a 20018, is doing the same thing, but abruptly changed from working great to hard to push. Like something broke... But like his, tilt the mower on the front wheels and push the handlebar and the wheels want to go just fine. I do hear the normal clicking sound while pulling it in reverse while motor not running. I think this is the way to tell if the transmission is working... Also along the same lines, when you push the handlebar to go forward, and try to pull it in reverse, the wheels definitely don't want to back up, so I think the transmission is ok. Any help or insight is much appreciated.

I do keep the maintenance up on this mower myself and it has little abuse. Overall works like the day I bought it. Great little homeowner mower. This issue just happened last week while I was mowing. I'm dreading taking it for a spin this week.:cry: I did want to try to check for an adjustment or change the belt if necessary before taking it to the Toro dealer for something I could handle myself. I am pretty good mechanically. Thanks.

5. wildncrazyguy

Sorry guys. Maybe this is not the right forrum. I just replied to this and it looks out of place. Thanks.

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Good possibility it is the gear in the trans. that is connected to the belt pulley.

7. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I adjusted mine (kind of played with it a little bit) with the cable and figured it out. Evidently it just "came out of adjustment". It worked perfectly after that.

I've not even used it this year at all after getting my WB. It's not even been put on the trailer this year.

Anyone wanna buy a Super Recycler in excellent condition?:)

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

get a real mower!

9. wildncrazyguy

I don't like the real mowers! I like the ones that you crank up and push with preferably self propel, which mine seems to have lost!:D 'Preciate your useless input lawnboy.

10. wildncrazyguy

You mean the cable that goes down on the left of the mower that actuates the transmission I assume. Where did you adjust it? Do I lossen the nut on the cable about half way down on handle assembly where it attaches and move it either back or forth to make it more tense when pushed? Or is it something I need to adjust at the handle or at the tranmission near the deck? Thanks. I haven't looked at it close enough yet and haven't found much documentation on making adjustments. Wish I could find a service manual for the mower. Would probably make more sense.