Toro personal pace system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siclmn, Jul 19, 2008.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I think it sucks. Every time I press the lever it lurches forward causing my upper body to lurch forward too. After each lawn I am worn out from all the lurching. It's not smooth and predictable. A waste of $500. Who loves it or hates it?

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I enjoyed the speed and light weight. But two family members purchased these and found their durability to be sub-par.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'm finding the same problems. I wish I had never bought it.

what would be a good recommendation on a cheap self propelled push mower? One that cuts really good.... I'm finding blades of grass un-cut every time I use it. Blades are plenty sharp. It also mats down the grass when the front wheels roll over the grass and doesn't pull them back up to get cut when the deck hits them. I've seen totally cheap push mowers with wobbly wheels cut 10 times better then this pile.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

"Cheap" is a relative term, but my brother LOVES his Home Depot Honda. Swears that, dollar for dollar, it's a better mower than a commercial Toro 21"...

5. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

I agree they are bad. I was just talking about my experience with thm in another forum that a guy asked about them. As I Said in the other forum they are junk. In my opinion, save your money and go buy a Honda. I bought the one that is $459 brand new. It is a 3-speed and easily converts from mulching to discharge. Best cut quality I Have seen with the Quadra-Cut System. Really like the power and ease of operation of the honda motor. Quiet too. Probably have 200 hours on it and it starts with the first pull every time. This is a residential model, but it has held up and I like it better than some of the so-called commercial mowers that I have had in the past.

Just my opinion, but stay away from anything witha Briggs on it!!! Go Honda or Kawasaki all the way!!!

6. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Outrageous Sir, I just love B&S engines, finest on the planet, bar none.
    :usflag:

Although Honda and Kawasaki are quite good (that's in the small print)

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I got one for my father 3 years ago for his birthday. He loves it. I've used it a few times as well. It seems to be a good system. It can be a bit "jerky" at first but once you get used to it, all is good!

8. CGlisson

CGlisson LawnSite Member

I've used mine for the past 7 years and love it. However, I will restate what has been said in THREE things you must know about this mower:

1. This mower is best used as a TRIM mower, it is extremely light-weight and maneuverable.

2. The quality of cut is not a commercial cut, any large area is a gamble for missed blades of grass.

3. The Briggs engine is fine as long as you maintain it like you're supposed to.

I haven't experienced any lurching forward, but I tend to move pretty quickly with this thing so its the mower that has to keep up :cool2:

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Disagree with posters above, love my Toro SuperRecycler with Pers Pace as trim mower and postage stamper.

Very maneuverable, cuts great. I suppose it will 'lurch' if you slam the bar forward, I haven't found this at all when I just ease into turns like your supposed to.

Second year of good use, expect it to go at least 5.

10. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the Toro personal pace and the honda with the thumb paddle hated them both. I have 4 John Deere's with the mowmentum drive and i love it. I was having problems in certain areas that i couldnt pull my Toro back up a ditch with out the hadle getting loose every other mow. With the John Deere i use one hand to mow all the time and there is the lever lock on it to make it just a noramal push mower. I love it and wont change back. Now the briggs went to the primmer less carb. i am unsure about how long that will work for, that is the only part of the J/D that i am having issues with, that and they use far more gas then any other mower i had. plus if you are trying to be fast the J/D is much faster the the Toro is.