Toro personal pace

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milkie62, May 7, 2008.

1. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I need a 2nd 21" mower.I am using a Toro 21" commercial 2 stroke 1998 model year.New ones are over a grand.Is anyone using the personal pace mower from Home Depot ? If so how do you like it ? If they hold up I can basically buy 3 for the price of the comercial one.I think the Toro bagger is the best overall.
  2. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

You might try doing a search, but the general consensus seems to be that the transmissions in the personal pace mowers are not as strong as the commercial transmissions. If you actually looks at a Toro commercial mower sitting next to a homeowner model, you should be able to tell the differences pretty easily. What are these differences worth to you?
  3. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

ive done a ton of studying myself and looked and compared them side by side im telling you now the only difference is commercial version has steel wheels and alum. deck and instead of the handles bolting to the body they are welded and of course the engines im partial to briggs myself ive never had a problem with one but i personally dont think its worth $1000 for a commercial mower what i do is buy a $300 or so and use it for 3 or 4 years and then chunk it and get another. saves money
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Toro SuperRecycler myself as my trim mower. Love it, personal pace is awesome. Paid around $500 for it. It is in its 2nd year of use that that is the extent of my experience, but I would recommend. Why would you spend well over a grand on a 21" commercial for a spot-use mower? You could get 2 1/2 SuperRecyclers during that span.

Also, do not buy Toro products from big box stores. Get from a dealer and they will treat you well with their service....
  5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I just had my personal pace fixed, it was running on one wheel. Apparently they have a new, tight wheel kit for them. I really like personal pace but they will not last, biggest mistake I made was buying a recycler, then a super recycler. Now I have a 21" proline commercial with bbc, it's a much nicer mower.

The 22" recycler, mine at least, only comes with finned blades and you can't mulch thick green grass with those. If you use these mower more then 10-15 hours a week, expect constant problems.
  6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Very true what bill said in the above post. I had a Toro personal pace last summer. I bought it brand new and within 2 weeks, the trans was shot. I returned it and got the
    21" Toro proline. No problems since. That will be your main headache with the personal pace recycler/super recycler if you use them a lot, the trans just do not last.
  7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Per above, how much did you use your pers. pace mower? I totally disagree with this, my Super Recycler is going strong 2nd year. Extensively used last season, less this season with a Quick in my lineup. Again, the 21" commercial is well over $1k. Why would you spend this much on a spot use mower? Every day use I can see....
  8. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a Personal Pace from Home Depot for my brother in law the other day(just for his yard, he's not in business). When I first saw it, I was impressed but the more I looked at it, I started to see some things I didn't like. For one thing it doesn't have a solid front axle like my snapper push mower. The front wheels will start to bend the frame after a few months of heavy use just like a cheap MTD mower. The way the bagger hooks onto the mower didn't look very sturdy to me either. It doesn't hook to the handle just to the discharge chute--get it full of heavy grass of leaves and it possibly could break off. But that wouldn't matter it you don't bag clippings. Also, overall it just didn't look as solid as other brands imo.
  9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I tried the Personal Pace mower, the basic idea is a good one, but it is built using ultra cheap materials, the Eager 1 motor was crap, the deck is the thinnest stamped thing I've seen, the drive system is junk, there is a drive cog that is severely underbuilt, I had to carry extras, the handle is underbuilt too. I had two of them, what a waste of money! I am disappointed that Toro put their name on them. BTW, these were just occasional use mowers, for lawns with areas accessed by stair, narrow gate etc. A total of maybe 7 lawns/wk and neither lasted a yr. I didn't even try to sell them, couldn't have in good conscience, so I just took them to the dump.

If you want a cheaper mower for occasional use, I might suggest the Honda. I have one of these
    and have been very happy with it, it mulches well and is very light and easy to use, and hasn't given me any problems in 2 yrs off use. I paid $559 at Home Depot, which is about what they are still.
  10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats fine that you disagree. Maybe you dont put yours to the test like others have here. I used it solid for 15 accts and by the 2nd week, I think mid part, it couldnt take it anymore. Yes, for a trim mower, it would prob work fine, but everyday mower, look at something else.