Toro Personal pace

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by unkownfl, Aug 5, 2010.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I'm having issues with the wheels locking up when I try to pull it backwards. Sometimes they roll free sometimes they just lock up... Anything I need to check out or is it doomed???

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Have you ever greased the zerks on the back side of the pivot arms? If not, try giving each 3 to 5 squirts of grease and give it a try. Go to toro.com , check into the consumer area and enter your model number and you can access a parts breakdown. If your unit has gone without lubrication, the engagement dogs get stuck in an engaged position and will not release easily. In addition you will find a nylon clutch washer and a rubber friction washer. Unlubricated, the nylon/plastic clutch washer will get hot enough it will sharp edges which will lead to the wheel not pulling.

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

As has been mentioned many times,try this :http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

4. unkownfl

F you big fish. I don't need your stuiped post seriel number etc. The part I'm talking about is general to all Toro residential push mowers for the last decade or two...

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

1. And what part would that be ?????????

2. IF you knew what the part is that has your girly mower so screwed up and your feeble mind so scrambled, then why ask for help?????????

3.Learn how to S-P-E-L-L !!

6. unkownfl

Your god BigFish, I forgot you have such a huge operation. BTW I've read all of your post and you've contributed nothing to this site. Not a whole lot of parts on a 21 especially in the drive system. I Just figured it would be to costly to fix compared to buying whole new unit. I will try to grease it. Then I'll take it apart if the grease doesn't work and check out the unit itself. Thanks, BigFish for all the help.

7. unkownfl

BTW the PP is for my rental home that the tenant has to maintain. Its 50 miles from my operation. It's about 10 years old, and its only been used to cut 1500 sqft.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Is your mower the recycler or super recycler? The recycler uses a cheaper transmission which has been more troublesome.

9. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

Pulling it in reverse has nothing to do with the transmission.
    When you pull it backwards the drive gears are supposed to free spin on the wheel
    The first reply was very close. Never seen a zerk on a personal pace.
    Pull the drive wheels off . Clean the wheel.
    Remove the drive gear clean the shaft washers etc. Check for worn parts.
    Lube it up and put it back together.

10. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta disagree there. The drive gears spin on the shaft when pushing it forward, Hence the click click click sound. When pulling it backwards the gears are grabbing the keys and the hole tranny is turning through. You can see the top pulley moving on the Personal pace. And yes, there are personel paces with grease zerks. Not the cheapo Homodepot onces but on the good aluminum deck ones.
    Couple things to check, is there any thing keeping the tranny from tilting when disengaged, It could just be allowing the belt to grab enough that it wont roll back. Also, if it is the good personal pace, make sure you grease the zerk on the input shaft of the tranny (if it has one).