Toro pistol grips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Apr 9, 2002.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Are any of you guys running the Toro walk-behinds that came out last year with pistol grips? I'm in the market for a new mower and like the Toro cut, but I just can't seem to get comfortable with the t-bar no matter how long I use it. I thought one of these machines might be the ticket, but no one has one to demo around here.

2. Kevin Neely

Kevin Neely LawnSite Member

If your pleased with the quality of cut than you will be pleased with the pistol grip Toro model as well.
    Their pistol grip is built with the same quality as their T-bar. They didn't sacrifice in the quality of cut or craftsmanship. Give it a try and see for yourself. See if the dealer has the Tru-Trak to demo too.
    Good luck!

3. coyeote

coyeote LawnSite Member
    from MN

Is there more than one pistol grip model?

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Anyway you cut it, pistol grips are just plain "physical punishment" and dangerous. Why don't you enter the 21st Century and look at a Hustler WB that has no pistol grips or safety levers to hold or squeeze. Wouldn't you like to mow 8 lawns in a row with a WB, and not have your hands, wrists and arms tired and aching??? Why take the chance of getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome using Pistol grips and look at a Hustler. Oh, the Hustler is a hydro, gives a great cut, is built like a Sherman tank and comes with a floating deck and "normally" is meant to cut in reverse (with only one hand) as easily as forward. Good luck,
    Pete

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

:confused: Im a bit confused. So many on here talk about pistal grips being so difficvult to use and being even physically exausting. I have been using pistal grips for about 8 years and wouldnt use anything else. I have demoed them all....t-bar, ecs, the one hustler uses etc....... Too me none have the control or maneuverability that good ole pistal grips offer. I have never one experienced pain from using my walk behind mower.....the breaks are not very difficult to squeeze:confused:

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I know it's impossible to mow, stop, turn and back up with only one hand using pistol grips. Also, every time you want to increase speed with pistol grips you can't, unless you let go of a lever, and push the limit stick forward, which is a pain and slow. The Hustler doesn't have that problem and instantly can change to any speed. Next, the Hustler automatically zero turns by just pulling the handle left or right, which must be done manually with pistol grips, by letting one lever go out and pulling the other in, besides it can't be done with one hand. Also, I mow regularly backwards, and to track true with pistol grips you have to pull them exactly together and the same amount otherwise the machine won't go straight. The Hustler doesn't have that problem since both pumps are always linked together. Finally, it sure bothers everyone else's hands to hold that darn deadman switch all the time. And again, Hustler doesn't have any switch to hold. If I can help answering any other questions you have, just ask away.
    Pete