Toro Powerclear Problem Starting.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by locallawncare.ca, Mar 21, 2013.

1. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a Toro Powerclear 2-stroke, I do residential driveways and I find that sometimes it won't start again after just using it 3 minutes prior, my house are close by. It starts fine when cold, with the choke & 2 pumps, when hot I usually never have to choke or prime it, but sometimes it just won't start. Recently I have been letting it run for 1 minute after use to cool down and I think it helps, anyone else have this problem? The plug seems fine, fuel filter clean, always fresh gas, proper mix, its only a year or two old. Its an intermittent problem and only happens when hot and then restarted shortly after.

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same issue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I bet because there is no fuel shutoff that the engine is flooding between stops. I too had many problems with this and now I just leave it running. I was going through plugs constantly and dealer advised to leave it running when it makes sense and if I do turn it off between stops to pull the starter a couple times before choking and priming it after transport. Solved my issues and I just notice you said 2 stroke?

4. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Yeah its a 2 stroke, it doesn't always happen, but when it does start there isn't a cloud of smoke like it was flooded and then started, I had an issue with the key switch on mine but I took it off and cleaned it with some electrical contact cleaner, but that was a different issue with it not staying running, but that's fine now. It's a PITA because its always mid route in a snow storm, so I pull off the 2 stage and by the next house the Toro starts up again.

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Yes same issue with mine. I also have an older 2450 CCR with same engine and carb and it doesn't do this.
    Posted via Mobile Device