1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro prices and should I go diesel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firedog561, Feb 25, 2008.

1. firedog561

firedog561 LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to purchase a new Toro Z. My dealer has left over in the crate O7's. One is a 28 hp Kaw 60" for $8700+tax and a 25hp diesel $11400+tax. How are these prices? I kinda want the diesel. Here is my situation any feed back would be greatly appreciated. I'm trading in an 05 Toro 60" with a 27 kohler. It has a little less then 600 hours. I bought it in July of 06. It was new. I traded two mowers in put down some cash. I didn't finance the whole amount. I'm going to trade every two years, so I'm covered under warrenty. Is it worth it to get the diesel? The financing is 0% for the diesel and 1.9% for the gas. I'm sure the payment isn't going to be much difference. With the price of diesel being like 65cents higher then gas would it be worth my while
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

In my oppinion i would go gas. Reason being is you plan on trading every 2 years so your ruleing out the long life span of a diesel. A 28hp is plenty of power for a 60" machine but that price seems high to me. I can get the same machine for around 7,700 plus tax.
  3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I second this.
    It is hard to justify the extra cost of a diesel engine on a ZTR when you keep it many years, so if you're only gonna keep it two years, gas is your best choice.
    Cost seems high to me, even if I try not to compare it to the Bad Boy prices.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah that price seems high to me as well, shop around.
  5. firedog561

firedog561 LawnSite Member

whats the going rate for the 28/60"? Prostreet can you give me the name and number of your dealer? That way I can work more with mine. And the thing is my dealer isn't small. It is a JD dealer and they sell a crap load of toro's.
  6. rhowerton

rhowerton LawnSite Member

We have the diesel. It is a solid mower, but extremely heavy. Everything on it is bigger than our 5 series mower (52 inch-23 koheler). My dealer seemed to think that the diesel was extremely more efficient that gas, but we have not found there to be any difference. Other than it is suppose to run forever, I would also say go with the gas. It cost us roughly $4 more per fill up on the diesel right now that it does on the same size tanks gas mowers.
  7. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

It is cheaper by far here in lower alabama to run a diesel because it runs so much cooler and effiecient and also on road diesel here is only about 15 cents more expensive and off road diesel is at 2.89 cents per gallon. regular gas is 3.25....
  8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Sure here it is. Now be forwarned that my father has known one of the sales guys there since they were both kids and I dont know if that has anything to do with the price he quoted us.

Gaithersburg Ford Tractor
    700 East Diamond Ave.
    Gaithersburg, MD 20877 Map

(301) 670-9300
  9. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

I'd go with the diesel. I just bought the Toro z580 25hp kubota. I plan on keeping it for a while as I probably put 150-175 hrs per season. Quality machine.
  10. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

The one i looked at had zero hours on it but it was the kubota 23 instead of the 25 what is the deal with that is the one they are trying to sell me an 06 model. The dealer wants 9300 + tax>>>