1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro proline 21 5.5 Suzuki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IBGreen, Nov 13, 2002.

1. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys that use these think about them? I think suzuki's are great. Are they worth the price tag? How well do they cut, bag, and mulch?
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I think they are the best 21 inch on the market. They mulch better than any other 21". Price is around $1000, but worth it. I know you are a Honda guy, so how about this....If you can wait, I think next season they are gonna put a Honda engine on it instead of the Suzuki.:)
  3. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Well worth the money. Mulches well / Bags well / cuts well. Enough said. IMO it is the best 21" mower on the market.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Second mower I purchased. It bags well, and mulches well. I can honestly say I cannot remember a time when I have ever had to slow production (on regularly maintained properties) due to thick or wet grass. It starts by the second pull EVERY time. I use premium gas and Echo oil, keep the air filter cleaned and a new plug every couple months. Never pulled a plug that looked bad though, I just keep being nice to her, cuz she's been real good to me.
  5. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had 6 prolines. Right now I have 4 that are cutting. I do nothing to them all year long. Thats right, nothing!!!! I change the plugs once a year and clean and grease them once!!. All I do is sharpen the blades occassionaly and clean the air filter. These things are tanks, they run forever, chances are the engine will outlast the deck. Which has ahppen to me. I have one that still runs after it got run over by a truck!!! Of course I had to put it on a different deck, but it started right up(after fixing ripped off gas tank, ripped off aircleaner, clompletely dented in exaust pipe) They are worth every penny!!
  6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

When I raced motocross I always had RM's so I love Suzuki products, I have done searches and never found one bad post about the proline. I talked to a mechanic and he said the suzuki is the best engine they've had in 25 years! Well I'd like to see about getting one tomarrow.
  7. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up two of them in May from another lco (who changes out his trim mowers every 2 years). Put new wheels and height adjustment assemblies on them and they are great !!! I can't say enough good about them. I use gator blades on them and they mulch without a trace.
  8. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We have good luck with them. We have a 96 we bought new and a 85 which we bought used. We use them mostly now as trim mowers but they have served us well. We change the plug about twice a season, keep the filter clean,blades sharp and keep it greased. The only thing to wear out are the wheel adjusters and tires which was just a matter of putting new tread on. Otherwise no problems. We bag with them in the spring and then mulch with them in the summer months.
  9. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Love it , dittos just like everyone else. The only thing I question is the height adjustment levers. I think they are difficult to adjust. Anybody have any thoughts on the levers.
    Overall I wouldn't hesitate, to recommend or buy.
    Good machine.
  10. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

Buy one, buy ten! They're bullet proof w/ superior preformance it's hands down my favorite tool on the trailer.