1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Proline 21" compared to Exmark Metro 26?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevinsky, Jul 1, 2005.

1. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I have been using Toro Prolines since they started making them with the two stroke engine. A 26 " mower would be a better size for most of the lawns we mow. How do these mowers compare regarding price and quality? Thanks!
  2. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

They are still new with some bugs. I think you would like it. I have looked at them in detail and they are really a good concept. Go to the web site and check out the blade tip speeds and also request a brochure, I just got mine.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure you are okay with the weight of the 26" unit, we feel it is too heavy for a trim mower, just like Honda. Don't get me wrong I like our Honda but I don't want to be jumping curbs with it and I definitely don't want to with this 26" unit.
  4. HK45Mark23

Actually the weight is relative, it is funny you should make such a comment. Check out my reply on this thread.

As you can see I did a comparison to the bigger machines and they all weigh less than I do per sq. in.

Matter of fact the Metro 26 weighs less per sq in than a John Deere JX75.

The John Deere is about 50 lbs less weight compared to the Exmark metro 26. The foot print for the Deere is almost 1 lb. heavier per sq. in.

The tires on the Exmark are substantially larger than the John Deere.

The Metro 26 handles a lot better due to the position of the engine. They have positioned it further back.

If you read the features you will see the benefits of the metro, but as I have said there are some bugs still, at least some here have touted some minor problems.

On a positive note the Metro does not connect the blade to the crank shaft, it uses a pulley system. This not only increases the blade tip speeds to 18,500 ft. per min. but also ensures the engine will not have to sustain any damage if trauma to the blade occurs.

Walker Kubota D722 = 2.35 lbs. per in.
    Exmark LaserZ XP = 7.17 lbs. per in.
    Exmark Metro 26 = 5.84 lbs. per in.
    John Deere JX 75 = 6.7 lbs. per in.
    And I = 8.78 lbs. per in.

As you can see I weigh about 3 lbs per inch more than the metro and over 2 lbs more than the John Deere.

I would never just jump any curb, always try to use a cut out or ease the front end down then ease the back end down or up as it may be. Any thing light or heavy will be damaged if abused.
  5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You Would Zip Around a Small Lawn a Heck of Alot Faster w/a Nice Proline/Suzuki or 80lb Lawnboy Commercial Unit....Remember You Spend More time Turning and Pulling Backwards on Small Lots than Going Forwards...The 26" is a Monstrosity and Will Slow You Down Period.

I Even Notice Production Differences Between the Old Heavy Honda HRC's & the Proline/Suzukis...Go Light on Small Lots or Go Home.
  6. HK45Mark23

A monstrosity?

It is only 50 lbs heavier in general and is self propelled so you don’t feel that, it is only 5 inches wider.

Even with the weight the balance is great due to engine position and the impact to the lawn is less due to wider tires resulting in a lighter step.

The width means that it still fits any where you 21 will but gets a 5 inch more bite.

With the increased blade tip speeds and with and ease of maneuverability it really should increase productivity, and lessen operator fatigue.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't used the 26" exmark, but if the weight is that much more ( @ 50 lbs.) forget it..
    Even the difference in weight and the un-ergonomic ( To Me at least ) controls of the Hydro Hondas vs. the Proline is a big difference to me..

I ain't gonna rag on the 26, But it is seeming more and more like something I don't wanna fool with..
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

9. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I own both the 26" metro and the 21" proline/suzuki mowers. The 26" metro is a work in progress. Lots of little bugs have dampened the otherwise positive experience I have had along with the lack of a mulching kit which is yet to arrive. After having used the 26" for the last month, here is my analysis. If your properties have a lot of ditches, are bumpy, are small or require a lot of turning the 21" mower is just as productive. If your properties are relatively flat, require little turning and are pretty much freee of obstacles, the 26" kicks butt and will provide a nice 25% increase in productivity. It is however quite heavy and will take some time to get accustomed to its weight. As I mentionned in a previous post, if the majority of your properties are currently being mowed with 21" mowers then the 26" is a nice addition. If the 21" mower is being used simply as a trim mower, then I would avoid the 26" and step up to a 36" unit.
  10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

So Basically if your Properties are Big Enough for a 36" or 32" or even a 48" Dual Hydro the 26" is Faster than the 21" but on those Small Props w/Lots of Turning the 21" is Still King...

Go Figure.