Toro Proline 21 w/5.5 Honda vs HRC216HXA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TXbulldog, Jul 26, 2006.

1. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

Which of these mowers is going to mulch better? I live in North Dallas and mulch 95% of the time. The grass I cut is mainly thick Bermuda. My understanding has been that the Toro Proline 21s have always been known for their excellent mulching ability while the Hondas have typically been known more for their bagging ability. I have been told recently that the HRC216HXA mulches as well as the Toro. Is this statement true? Most of the commercial 21s I see in Dallas are the Prolines. -Jason

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I personally use the hondas to bag never really used it all day to mulch. I've heard the prolines mulch better. But the new Hondas with the redesinged deck and twin blades may be worth a shot to try.

3. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

In our area the Pro lines run circles around the honda decks for mulching, I used to have several hrc 216 and have switched to prolines 5 years ago and they have been wonderful! The honda mowers left more clumps and were allot heavier.

4. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

Dallas Turf,

Does the latest Honda also leave big clumps?

5. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

I switched to Toro 5 years ago and have not looked back. They are great machines.

6. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We mulch well over a 1000 lawns a year with the new Honda HRC. Don't have the new Toro Proline, but a 10 year old 2 stroke Toro, plus the JD 63, and others.

We do this for years and often have to ignore the "cut only 1/3" rule. In almost all cases, the Honda mulches by far the best. Even on damp grass it does pretty good. The two knifes just produce fairly small clippings to begin with and it leaves a very nice picture on most lawns.

Now, there are some situations where the JD gives a better mulching pattern, particularly on yards where the grass is not very dense, but tall. I think that the Honda just doesn't have enough vacuum for those situations.

JOhn

7. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't comment on the Honda HRC216 but I just bought a Toro proline 21" with the Honda engine and it mulches beautifully. One client I have waters and fertilizes like crazy and her grass is still lush and thick, even though we are in July. When I cut her place last week, I used the new Honda powered Toro and it mulched through that stuff like nothing. Apart from a few tiny clumps, it was terrific. The week before I had tried to mulch with a lawnboy commercial and it was a disaster and the week before that I tried to mulch with an Exmark Metro 21" with the Kawasaki and BBC and it left clumps too. I think that's because the BBC equipped Toros/Exmark 21" have less air flow and deck space and thus, the mulching ability is comprimised. I don't know much about the Honda HRC216...sorry.