1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

toro proline 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spobubba, Apr 29, 2003.

1. spobubba

spobubba LawnSite Member

I know that the toro is known for its mulching abilities. The Toro website also shows the Proline 21 w/ a rear bagger. Does the 21 bag well? Does it bag better than the residential super recylcler? I generally bag mostly but want a mower that can also mulch well. Also considering JD JX75. Also checked out Snapper, but I'm not crazy about their design.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
  2. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

To get the Toro 21" to bag well, you will need to pull out the kicker plates and add a high lift blade...

To have both a good bagger and mulcher, I would suggest mulching with the Toro and bagging with a Honda... That's what I used to to when I bagged... Have only run Toro for the last 10 years as they mulch so well, you very rarely need to bag...

Good Luck, Clay
  3. Texas Cutter

Texas Cutter LawnSite Member

I have used a toro 21" proline for the last three years and I love it. It is excellent for mulching which is what I usually do, however I have to bag sometimes and it seems to do pretty good, although I can only compare it to my old residential murray so I don't know how it compares to something like the honda.:blob3:
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Clay is right on the money!! The Toro mulches great as it comes from the factory, but it bags ok. If you really what the Toro to bag well, you need to remove the kickers and add the high lift blade OEM 62-7700 that came on the 21" Vac-u-deck Toro's. With that blade and no kickers, it packs the bag so full it's tough to empty it. I choose to bag w/ mine, as I find with the growth I deal with on a weekly cut basis that mulching is too slow and leaves a mess, unless you double cut. :) ED
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I liked my Toro and Lawn Boy so well that I made them one! This machine has very low low maintenance, goes all over any hill you want with no engine troubles, not terribly heavy, good speed range in transmission (3 spd), mulches great bags great. Bagger seems to take longer to fill than a Lawn Boy side bag but it just "seems" like it. Maybe it only packs it in tighter, making it last longer. I hardly bag with it it mulches so good unless it's tall and or wet then it's faster and easier to bag. Would do even better if I had a plug to go into the bagger chute for mulching.
    Starts easily on the first pull every time and has plenty of power. Very reliable, comfortable easy to use machine. Lawn Boy has a nice mower too but the things I dislike about them are the streak the offset wheel leaves (makes it wider and impossible to get upto objects with the right side of deck) and that their discharge sticks out, so the right side of the deck is useless even bagging or mulching. They do good discharging though, mulch fine and bag ok. Don't like their side bagger but never tried the rear bagger. Honda makes a nice machine I know, but a friend had a wheel mount break off his deck, doubt it's a common problem but makes the whole machine useless now.

6. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We have two Toro Proline 21" mowers, and one Super Recycler. I think all three bag about the same except for the one older Proline that does not have the kicker plates. Like mentioned in previous posts, you would probably want to remove the kicker plates if you want to bag. However, we recycle with them mostly and they do a good job of it. We only use the baggers if the grass is real lush in the spring.

If you bag, we found the Toros bag much better than the Snappers in wet or damp grass. However, the Snappers seem to have a better vacuuming ability.

Also, we found the Prolines to be a much heavier duty mower than our Super Recycler., i. e. metal wheels, gear drives, etc. The only reason we have the Super Recycler is that my wife likes it and she can handle it easier.

Hope this is of help.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Are you aware that JD has reduced the warranty on the JX 75 to only 90 days. I used the JX85 and JX75 mowers for many years. I can tell you that the blade clutch will not last one year, and they are not cheap to replace. When the warranty was 1 year, I always got the first replacement free.
    Since JD dropped the 85 and shortened the warranty on the 75, I have switched to the Exmark Metro 21". This is the same mower as the commercial Toro 21'. you might want to rethink buying that JD.:)
  8. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a shame that the warranty is only 90 days, however, I haven't had any major problems with mine.

I have had my jx75 for 2 full seasons, working on the third. The only things I've had to replace were a throttle cable and the operator presence control which was my fault. The service was great, I had it back the next day. This mower isn't just used as a trim mower either. It is running everyday we are cutting, for several hours a day. I am very happy with it.

It bags very well, however, is not great at mulching. I am considering running the jd and a toro (one for bagging, one for mulching).

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 21" Toro with the 2 cycle Suzuki motor it mulches great with the Toro mulch blade, and bag's great by only changing to a hi lift blade. No other mods.
  10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried bagging with and without the 'Kickers' on my Proline the only difference that I have noticed is that the bag fills much quicker when the 'kickers' are removed, appearance of the lawn seems identical so I leave the 'kickers' in place and empty the bag less often. Oh I also clean the underside of the deck daily.