1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Proline 36 floating deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by t j lawn care, Oct 14, 2004.

1. t j lawn care

t j lawn care LawnSite Member

Do any of you lco own a toro proline gear drive floating deck 36 in gear drive. . I've got a chance to buy one new 2004 with a 15 hp kawasaki. Are you satisfied with a toro ?

thanks in advance
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My first walk behind was a Toro 36" floating deck with a 15hp kohler. I put a jungle wheel and a weight kit on it. It is my best mower. Very reliable. cuts very nice!! I have used it as a side discharge, and with a bagger. Next season I will put a mulching kit on it....I have several other buddies in the biz...they all run Toros of various shapes and sizes.. we all swear by them.
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I've had a few Toros over the years & have really come to despise the SFS deck on the floaters, especially after using & buying a couple other brands recently....doesn't mulch or discharge as well as most of the newer baffled decks...

If you can grab a fixed deck Toro, the deck is much better.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree on the fixed deck. I don't think the extra money spent on a floating 36" deck is worth it. i have the fixed and it is much better than the floating deck toro has on the 36". Now on the 48 and above it had better be floating.
  5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it have Pistol or T-Bar? Check with Russo Power in Chicago for price comparison, what city do you live in?
  6. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I have one, but with a 15 Kohler (super flow deck). It is my main mower. I have been happy with it (one year old now). One thing I don't like is that is leaves a trail of clippings on the right side when cutting thick Bermuda grass (I have the mulch kit). Most mowers will do this with thick Bermuda, so I don't blame the machine too much...just blow over the lawn when finished.

Paid a bit more than 3 K this spring.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I have had lots of time on this mower.