Toro Proline 44

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jsun2254, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Jsun2254

Jsun2254 LawnSite Member

can someone tell me about these walkbehind mowers? I just bought one off ebay at 600 bucks and has less than 350 hours on it. How easy are they to operate etc, durability, striping ability?

2. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

I too was watching that mower from our friends B & R. If the mower is in as good of shape in person as represented on eBay, you should be fine. Quite frankly that's a good deal on a really good mower. I refrained from bidding because it looked a "little too worn" for my taste". The mower is a great unit if you like the T-Bar controls. When you go to pick it up just do a thorough service on it (oil change, grease all bearings, sharpen or replace blades, paint?)
    Hope it lasts many seasons for you.

3. Jsun2254

Jsun2254 LawnSite Member

thanks. Ever used a proline before?

4. LawnSharks

No, only eXmark Metro's and Vik's. Very similar machines. You'll be pleased if it hasn't been mis-represented. Again, good luck. Yell at us if you ever come south to Charlotte.

5. rossignol5

rossignol5 LawnSite Member

I have run the same mower for the past 5 years and it still runs like a charm you will love it. It might just take a little while to get used to the t bar controls, it is great once you get the hang of it.

6. Jsun2254

Jsun2254 LawnSite Member

will it stripe them up or will i have to buy a striping kit

7. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Awsome mowers very easy to use once you get the hang of it youll love it. Got 2 of them 44" w/18 hp kohler and a 32" w/kohler 12 hp buy the toro red paint little expensive but man what a differance they look brandnew now.

8. LawnSharks

Jsun,
    Any mower will leave a visual stripe if you alternate directions. If you really want a pronounced look, then by all means buy a striping kit or make one yourself. Do a search of striping kits on this forum and you'll get plenty of ideas.
    Good luck!

9. dustinnice

dustinnice LawnSite Member

Found a great deal on a 52" and a 44" that need carb work..i was worried i might be getting had but sounds like these are great mowers.

10. LBA1999

LBA1999 LawnSite Member

These toro prolines are great mowers. I have the 44 inch also and it is the perfect size to fit in many places. Just enough bigger than a 36 to cover large areas easier. The T-Bar controls are great and imo the best controls for a walk behind. very responsive and very natural movement. You can even run it with one hand say on a steep ditch and stay safe on level ground. I bought mine new in 1999 and it has been bulletproof. I have a 12.5 kawi single cylinder pull start and never have had a problem. They stripe very well actually. I don't use striping rollers on any of my mowers and this one stripes better than all of them, so unless you are mowing a golf course than I would save the cash and skip the striper. You got a great deal for 600 bucks if it is in good condition. What engine do u have? Post pics when u get it.