Toro Proline 44?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rodney12, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Rodney12

Rodney12 LawnSite Member

I found a nice deal on a toro 44, im looking to upgrade to a dual hydro and it seems to be a good hybrid size as I can still get through my gated jobs. any opinions on this machine?

2. slamjamrockinman

slamjamrockinman LawnSite Senior Member

just bought a used one with 350 hours on it. It came with a tru-trak, stripe kit and a jrco dethatcher. LOVE IT!! The tru-trak works great. It is so comfortable, I could stand on it for hours. The 44" is a good size for me, I do all resis and I just use my honda 21 for gates. Mines a 2001 so it has the sfs deck. Would you buy new?? Let me know if you have any questions.

3. Rodney12

Rodney12 LawnSite Member

does the tru trak affect the striping at all without a stripe kit, how is the cut? what blades are you using?

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

The Turboforce deck (if that's what you have) is just about bullet proof. I run my 36" with doubles and get a wind tunnel akin to a tornado. :D

5. Rodney12

Rodney12 LawnSite Member

its a 1999 with 300 hours on it, just used residentially, seems to be in great shape, the tru-trak looks like it would be functionally great to have

6. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

I had a hydro 44'' sfs Toro for 3 years. Nice size for residential. Good cut on St.Aug. grass.IMO the true trac was a little bulky to use. I had Jungle Wheels on all my w/b and they worked great.
    Walt

7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i dont have a toro w/b anymore, but i had a 36" that was bulletproof (it had a fixed turboforce deck). i also think the sfs deck on my 52" z cuts great. cant say on the size that you're looking at, that depends on you.

the only question i have is what kind of steering does it have? 44" is a great size, i run a 48" w/b a good bit and wouldnt want smaller, but 44" could be great depending on the size lawns you maintain.

8. Rodney12

Rodney12 LawnSite Member

its a dual hydro, all my jobs are residential and typically around .25 acre and some have tight spots, some are wide open. the main reason for an upgrade is the dual hydro (alot less work to operate)....those of you with 48" ztr's or w/b's, what is the smallers property you typically run them on? I have also looked at a few 48" exmark vikings but dont want to get too big, do you guys typically cut smaller yards with 48" decks?

9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i cut lawns as small as a couple k sq. ft w/ a 52" all the time. 48" is no problem either. i even used my 60" on the same properties when i had it.

10. slamjamrockinman

slamjamrockinman LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it is almost the exact same mower that I have. I'll post some pics of mine in the picture thred when I can find some time. Rodney, I have a striping kit on mine so I wouldn't know, but I am also sure it wouldn't. I just have the stock blades on it and it cuts decent. I only have to 2 passes if the grass is overgrown. As far as the sfs deck goes, it is not as bad as some say it is, no it is not nearly as nice as the turbo force. I second what lawnguy said. The tru-tak is a bit bulky, but that is whats great about a sulky. You can just fold it up and walk on those small yards. I might get some new blades, anyone have any suggestions for good blades on the sfs?