Toro Proline 48" WB Grass Discharge Problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Tennessee Hillbilly, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Tennessee Hillbilly

Tennessee Hillbilly LawnSite Member

All

I've got a Toro 48" WB (Proline) with a 15HP Kohler engine and a fixed deck. Problem I'm having is that if the grass is the least bit wet, it doesn't discharge. The deck chokes up and I have to disengage the blades to let the grass fall out. I'm running the blades that came with the mower (4 yrs old) and I keep them sharp.

I'm thinking maybe a different blade design or a different pitch of the deck (forward or backward) would help discharge better as it doesn't seem to be a HP problem.

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of blades came with the mower? High-lift, or mulching?

You might also try removing the discharge chute - it will help as far as the clipppings are concerned.

3. Tennessee Hillbilly

they're high-lift blades.

I've also removed the discharge chute.

4. MJS

Then I would ask what kind of grass you are cutting, and at what height?

In that case, you could try mulching blades - I'm not sure that pitching the deck a certain way will really help anything.

5. Tennessee Hillbilly

Fescue. Right now, due to rain, about 8" cutting to 4".

6. MJS

I don't think you have anything to worry about. First of all, any mower is probably going to bog down in 8" of wet tall fescue. Secondly, if you follow the 1/3 rule and only cut 1/3 of the grass during mowing (so 6" down to 4") you probably won't have as much trouble with the discharge.

Good luck. :usflag: