toro proline cutting uneven

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bowpro, Sep 1, 2005.

1. bowpro

bowpro LawnSite Member

I have a 36in. proline, and the inside edge of the right side cuts lower than the left side, and also has some play in it. Is it a spindle problem or adjustment. How much is a spindle and is it possible to do yourself without special tools. Thanks for your help.
  2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine has the same problem, so I too would like to know the answer. Is your's new?
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

make shire the blades are level when the mower is off if it is then its the spindle. you can replace the spindle or put new baring in it
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If either of you don't have a owners / parts manual you can go here and down-load one, The parts break-down will show you how the spindle assembly is put together. Have your model numbers handy.
  5. bowpro

bowpro LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. I noticed it cuts uneven when the grass is thick and tall. When the grass is short, or I go over it a second time it cuts fine. Does this still sound like a spindle problem? Could it be a loose belt, or something like that causing the blade to slow down or wobble. The mower is about 10 years old, so it might be about time for a new spindle anyway. Thanks again.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just a few things to check when having a poor quality cut.
    Blade sharpness
    Belt tension
    Spindle bearings
    Engine RPM
    Tire pressure
    Deck level
    If all these things check good and you still have this problem you may just be overloading the unit, Lower your ground speed in tall grass and see how it goes.