1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Proline Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhicks, Jun 16, 2000.

1. dhicks

dhicks Member

Wouldn't you know it, I was visiting my friendly Toro dealer today because I'm in the market for a walk behind mower. I played with a Bunton 48&quot; hydro, Bob Cat Hydro and the Toro Proline Hydro /w floating deck. The Toro has a 20 HP Kohler, 52&quot; deck, and the price was $5399.00 including tax. I really liked the T-Bar Steering as compared to the other machines with handles. I have a slight neuropathy in my (R) arm which means the arm is weaker than the left. However, for $1000.00 difference, I can live with the pain! While the Toro is more $$$, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who uses this same machine on a day-to-day basis whether good, bad, or indifferent. Oh yeah, rumors or other scuttlebutt about the Toro is welcome, too. Thanks!<p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac - ICQ [icq]31223414[/icq]<br>www.go-emerald.com
  2. You should be able to buy a 52&quot; ZTR for that kind of money.<p>Take a look at the 52&quot; stand on machines;<br>wright or Dane.
  3. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

there is a z master on turf quip up your way<br>for about the same
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

dhicks,<br>That's just too much money for that machine. I'm not saying the dealer isn't giving you a good deal, I just would go with a belt-drive Toro instead of the Hydros.<p>A 48&quot; Toro (Exmark) Fixed deck 14hp is $2200 new.<p>A 52&quot; Toro (True Toro) Floating deck 12.5hp is $2600.<p>Toro deck design requires less hp/cutting width than some other mower designs. Once you step down to belt you save some HP requirements as well. 20hp on a 52&quot; Toro deck is overkill in Northern grasses.<p>I'd recommend Toro, I've owned, geez, 12 or more-- including 4 Hydros, but I wouldn't spend the money on their Hydros again.
  5. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

&quot;A 48&quot; Toro (Exmark) Fixed deck 14hp is $2200 new.&quot;<p>Man I wish I could see these prices here in Florida. Looked at that same machine Thursday and was priced at $2800.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer called me about a month ago with closeout prices on Toro 44&quot; hydro 15hp pull start for 2800. I bought a similar with elect start for about 3800 in 99.
  7. Dale

Dale LawnSite Member

The walk behind hydros of any brand are way over priced. The margins for the dealers are much better in the hydros. I see no advantage over the belt drive at all.<p>Make sure your dealer will stand behind the warranty. I have a one year old Proline 36 that the motor grenaded on and both the dealer and engine distributor won't warranty it. No reply from the area distributor or direct from Toro in two weeks. That kind of customer service sucks.
  8. dhicks

dhicks Member

Thanks to all for the advice and replys. Yep, hydros are expensive here in the DC area. What's real interesting is that the local Exmark folks want nearly $5300 for a Turf Tracer (I think it was a 52&quot; deck, too) I figure, if both machines are in the same price range, I'd go with the Toro. The Toro dealer near me does an outstanding job with after the sell service and warrenty work. While I have not committed to the Toro dealer on a purchase, I guess that I need to do more homework on the subject. <p>Perhaps the Louisville show can straighten me out.<p>Again, Thanks to all... <p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac - ICQ [icq]31223414[/icq]<br>www.go-emerald.com
  9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf Tracer or Turf Tracer HP?<p>There's a big difference.<p>Comparing a Toro WB vs. an Exmark WB-- especially the bigger Exmark WB's is totally unfair-- they're so different.<p>If the price is anywhere close, you're miles ahead with the Exmark. I've put thousands of hours behind both machines.
  10. dhicks

dhicks Member

The Exmark is the Turf Tracer HP. <p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac - ICQ [icq]31223414[/icq]<br>www.go-emerald.com