1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

toro proline mid size 15 hp

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by okiest8, May 25, 2006.

1. okiest8

okiest8 LawnSite Member

I just got this used toro mower. I changed the oil and filter. the owners manual tells you to put in 2 quarts so i did but that dont seem to be anuf oil cause i just get alittle oil right on the end of the dip stick and not between the low full marks. thanks for any help. the engin is a 15 hp kohler command:confused:
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

On the 15hp Kohler the oil level is a trick because the machine has to be perfectly level and it is so anal that even when it looks to be level the stick can be off! I know, I got two model 30197's, both of them got the 15hp Kohler, one of my favorite engines: 15 HP Command CV15T-41624 if you want to check, make sure.

Absolutely, 2 quarts not more! You will see you will check this stupid machine some other day and it will appear OVER on the stick, this is one reason I run synth in them and you might wish to do so and watch your oil-related problems disappear.

Also, you have to check the oil by seating the stick but do NOT turn it, just push the stick in the hole and seat it in there but do not thread it, it has to be sitting there as low as possible without threading so basically you can pull it straight back out.

Oh by the way, you can get a 3-dollar oil filter for that engine at Advance Auto Parts, part number AA3614 which is a storebrand filter and has the duragrip (grippy surface) and it is red and looks very nice but I tear the parts sticker off.

Toro is really nice, if you are missing manuals, you can download both the operator's and the parts manual from here:

I did that, printed it out and took it to Office Max, got it bound and 3-ring stapled so now it fits in my notebook and saves tons of time at the dealer when I need a part, also a great replacement for a missing OR manual.

p.s.: If you blow the engine, a new one costs 500 here http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...+x3+5+32+Keyed+Shaft+OHV+Recoil+Start+Muffler
  3. okiest8

okiest8 LawnSite Member

hey thanks for the info