Toro proline question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffh1988, Apr 14, 2008.

1. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Ok guys I am looking at a toro proline 44 inch cut that is about 5 years old with low hours. It has the t-bar and I believe it could help me out but...i went to try it out the other day and it was fine on flat ground but wouldn't pull itself up any kind of slope. It doesn't drag the motor down but with it held all the way forward the belts aren't slipping the gear box just quits turning all together until i let off of the pressure. So i guess i need to know is this fixable or should i pass it up and if it is fixable how much is this mower worth?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Sounds like it needs a new transmission. Costs about $230. It sounds like you are trying to buy it so it may be worth offering the guy far less and see what happens.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the trans belt just needs adjusting-simple to fix-many operators neglect this simple maintance operation-since you cant see the belt-many forget about it.

4. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Ok guys thanks for the quick replies so how do you tighten the trabsmission belt he let me keep the mower for a few days to see if I could fix it.
    Thanks,
    Jeff