Toro Proline Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by selnoil, May 21, 2004.

1. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Looking for some input about a proline.

I have the opportunity to buy a left over Proline 44" floating deck w/ 17 HP and save about $1000.00. But I've read a couple old threads about the front end weight problem and little traction on the rear. The main reason we are adding the Proline is to mow areas the Walker can not get such as slopes, hills, softer areas, etc. I'm a little concerned now that I read these threads, should I just bite the bullet and buy the 2004 model and forgo the $ savings.

Sounds like the 2004 models have fixed the old weight issue??
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 36". I have never had any problems with weight or traction.
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The floaters w/the vertical height adjusts Suck...they tried to fit an SFS on an eXmark type carrier frame...Bad Idea!....they're being Phased Out Just Like New Coke was Phased Out....Bring Back the "Classic" Toros!

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 2003 proline and i dont have any problems with traction, sometimes I have to step off the velke on a hillside so it doesnt spin and tear up the turf, but I weigh 275 also
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

All of our prolines are good. No weight problems for us. Good solid mowers, you should like it. Is it T-bar or pistal grip?
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Perhaps it was only the hydro models that had the traction problem, but my 44" vertical pin deck toro was not as sure-footed as my other toros have been (5 of them)

I do know that I received an advertising brochure in the mail from the distributor that specifically mentioned that they had moved the engine location on the frame to improve balance and they also curved the ends of the front forks to reduce the really bad chatter the castor wheels had (on pavement mostly). So my assumption is that if they felt the need to mention the improvement on an ad flyer with very little other information, the problem was pretty well known.

Using a sulky, the traction was fine, since the extra weight on the rear was just what it needed.

Btw, there is/was an identical 17hp/44" vertical pin type 2003 for sale on Ebay , might save even more there.
  7. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

It is the T-bar type. I've used them before and liked them. Although it was about 10 years ago and the newer ones have changed (the decks mostly). The old one I used had the horizontal pins that if I remember were not that easy to change. I was thinking the new vertical pins would be easier to change? I know our Walker is very easy to change the pins.
  8. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

I was not planing on having a sulky. Do you guys think that that may be why your not having rear weight issues (because your using one)??
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

He he he mine just doesnt pull my fat butt good on wet grass on a hillside, mower is fine , with no sulky you should be good to go
  10. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Does anyone have an idea when Toro changed the front end to the current one. My local dealer thinks it was about 6 years ago which eliminated the tractionj issue he said????????????

Whats your thought??????