Toro proline rear discharge chute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Oct 15, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

What does everyone think of the toro super recycler discharge chute? Sometimes I need to discharge but I can only mulch or bag with my proline. Is it worth getting at I believe $80? Comments would be appreciated.
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I had one waaay back, though not a proline it was old enough to be the same deck design. Point being, it SUCKED. Unless you were taking off very little and it was perfectly dry it would just roll out clumps. Iv'e had a John deere and a Lawn boy M series both with rear-side discharge chutes and they work pretty well. The Toro's are just a poor design IMO. Has a lot to do with Toros lack of throwing velocity out that rear chute, even into the bag, which usually (even on the 2 stroke proline I had) would only fill half way if the grass was not dry dry.
  3. S man

Okay. Thanks I won't waste my time with it.
  4. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Same experience here, the grass just kind of rolls out of the chute into clumps.
  5. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Been my thoughts exactly. Unless you're bagging everything with it, it's really quite useless at mulching. And the Proline is not cheap for a 21" mower.
    One of my competitors uses only the 21" proline but he bags "everything" all year round. (charges a bit more though) He has the back end up a notch higher than the front cause he says it bags better that way.
  6. S man

That's weird. Because the toro is designed to mulch.
  7. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

Ditto. I spent a ridiculous amount on that piece of plastic and like they said unless it's dry it doesn't work worth a damn. I gave up on the Toro a few years back and went with the Lawnboy commercial mower.