Toro proline transmission problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nriddle77, Jul 13, 2008.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

My transmission belt keeps coming off the pulleys. I have tried tightening it, but this does not help. It comes off right away. Also, I noticed the large round piece (sheave?) directly under the transmission is a little bit loose. It has maybe 1/4" of play up and down. Any ideas? Should I install a new peerless transmission?

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you use a sulkey?

If the trans or large pulley under the trans is wobbling then that means the input shaft needle bearings have failed. Don't mess around replace the trans.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, if the sheave is loose, the belt will come off constantly. If it is just the sheave sliding on the shaft, just tighten it. My suspicion is that the bearing has failed and that whole shaft is wiggling. I run a couple of 36" Prolines with Peerless tranys and that is how they always fail.

Easy to replace. New trany will cost about $200.

4. nriddle77

I do use a velke. I was thinking that the easiest fix would be to replace the transmission. I have the Peerless 700-070a model but am not sure if this is a 9-spline or 36-spline. How do I determine that?

Lawntamer- can the spline be tightend? I didn't see any way to adjust it.

Also, where is the best place to buy a transmission?

5. MowerMedic77

:nono:

More then likely a 9 spline but you can pull out the side drive enough to see the spline as it enters the coupler. After they went to the 9 spline which almost completely eliminated the 36 spline strip out I have seen LOTS of lower input shaft bearing failures, because the stress is now getting transferred to the next weak link and pulling yourself around with a sulky or velky only speeds up this process.

J-Thomas.com is usually the lowest price just use the 700-070a #

6. nriddle77

The needle bearings have been replaced. As soon as I started mowing, I noticed the transmission leaks grease. A lot of grease is being slung all over the deck now. Is this normal after such a repair has been made, or should I take it back to the shop?

7. MowerMedic77

Seem to remember saying don't mess around and repl. the trans.:hammerhead: I did a half dozen of these lower needle bearing repairs when I first started seeing this issue and all but one came back. So to answer your question, yes take it back ASAP

8. nriddle77

MowerMedic you are right. I should have just replaced the transmission. I trusted the dealer to steer me in the right direction which may have been a mistake.