Toro PT21 mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Apr 28, 2007.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone had any experience with the new Toro PT21 mower? It's new for this year and has the 6 hp kawasaki, steel wheels but the recycler deck from the super recycler homeowner series. Just wondering how the machine is? Thanks

2. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

I recently purchased this mower, the 22164 model, and I am very happy with it. Several LCOs had purchased this mower right when it came out and my dealer said they where happy with it when I went to purchase mine. I have the bag kit and I added the assist handle that is on the 20057 model to it as well. I have only used it 3 times since I am a home owner so I can not compare it to the true Prolines but the best way for me to describe it is to compare it to my old 2000 Craftsman Eager 1 mower.

My lot is small at only 85 by 135 but I only mow 115 feet of it due to the back hill is very steep so I just trim it. I irrigate and fertilize on a regular basis and mow typically 3 times in a two week period.

Time:
    Craftsman: 1 hour to do my lot
    Toro: 35 to 40 minutes

Mulching:
    Craftsman: I had to go so slow and it would still leave sections where it didn't mulch the grass at all. I just ended up bagging.
    Toro: That is all I have done and it has handled it all with ease.

Thick section - Gets over lap of watering and the dog pees there.
    Craftsman: I would have to mow this section twice due to how thick and tall this section would be. The mower would usually bog way down or stall and need to be mowed twice to make it look good.
    Toro: Even going through this section at a high rate of speed the mower took care of it with ease. Did not even bog down.

Wet grass - Several days of rain earlier
    Craftsman: I would have to mow it twice to make the grass look good even on a sharpened blade.
    Toro: Once was enough and I did not even have to slow down.

I did not think that there would be that much of difference between the two mowers but it is night and day. I only got 2 good years with the Craftmans before it nickeled and dimed me to death and it spent almost 40% of the sumemr in the shop. I almost could have bought this mower with amount of money I spent on repairs and the cost of the mower. This was even more dramatic than when I went from a Craftsman trimmer to my current trimmer which is an Echo SRM210 and I was impressed by that trimmer.

I will never go back.

If you have more questions let me know. My dealer has been great to me and answered all the questions that I had.

3. joed

Fritowrdo,

Wanted to ask you about the traction assist handle on your pt21? How does it work? Is it a good idea to get?

Thanks

4. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

If someon has a self propelled PT21, can you please post pictures. I've been wanting to see one. None of my dealers have it in stock.

5. fritowrdo

It is a handle that you can grab to control the mower rather than use the PP bar. It looks odd where it is at but it works well.

I use it to control the speed of the mower when i go down my back hill. I rest my elbos on the dead man bar and grab the traction assist handle. I also use it to turn the mower in tight spots especially on the hill. If my lot was completely flat, it would not be worth it but I use it every time I mow so it is worth the $30 in my opinion.

Any issues with yours? I have had none with mine and its still running strong!

6. fritowrdo

I can do that for you and Joed can see the traction assist handle.

7. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, please post if you can, I would like to see the whole mower too.

8. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

9. joed

fritowrdo
    No real issues with mine...working well..especially in mulch mode. It actually mows my lawns a bit faster than my proline 21"...about 2-3 minutes. Bolts seem to loosen consistently and personal pace transmission seems a bit weak in heavy grass or when mowing. When you have a chance, post the traction assist handle picture so I can see if it is worth getting.

Thanks.

10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

The way I had it explained to me by my Toro dealer is that the Home Cheapo Toro uses a different PP tranny than the ones you buy at the actual Toro dealer. The cheap ones he keeps 3 or 4 of on the shelf at all times, the others he's replaced 1 since they came out, and one of his users is a golf course that has 3 or 4 mowers running everyday. He actually talked me out of buying the PT21 vs the one I got.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...+1953&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/superrecycler/index.html