Toro PTO Electric Clutch problem Z Master

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gulkanariver, Dec 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Gulkanariver

Gulkanariver LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 Toro Z Master zero turn mower.
    Model 74162
    S# 240000689
    18 Hp Kohler
    560 hours
    After about 5 minutes of cutting grass the Blades stop turning. It seems like the PTO disengages. If I let it cool off it will engage again for at least 5 minutes of cutting. I replaced the PTO switch thinking it may be defective but this didn't help. I was told that the battery could be the problem since the clutch is electric the battery might not have enough power even if it is strong enough to start the mower. I thought about trying that before having a new clutch put on. Have you ever heard of this or have any ideas what it could be.

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

The advice could'nt be more wrong. Check the resistance. Should be 2.5 - 3.5 ohms. Something in that range.Reading will vary with meter and temp. Look for discoloration in the brg area also. With the hrs and the year range, that is about the average life. Switch was a good start. Google to find tons of info on testing. I would rely on OEM or manufacturer guidelines

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I'd also check the DC volts output at the pigtail the clutch plugs into with the engine running at full throttle--should be around 14VDC.

The resistance numbers Ricky provided are in the same ball park that I rememberl--the range I seem to recall is 2.4-2.9 ohms for Warner. If it's an Ogura, you'll have to do a little research.

4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Alabama eh, you in celebration mode or in morning?

5. Gulkanariver

Gulkanariver LawnSite Member

Mourning. It was an ending I'll never forget.