Toro PTO issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wasmeneh, Jul 9, 2008.

1. wasmeneh

wasmeneh LawnSite Member

I purchased a used Toro 325 Z master with backpack bagging system. The guy I bought it from said the shop checked it out and everything was in excellent condition. (should have walked away then) en=verything seemed ok when I checked it out. Engine is a Kohler command pro 25 that was replaced in 2004 and has about 300 hours on it. The unit has a little less than 1400.
    Got it home and changed all the fluids, hydro and engine. Started mowing with it today and after about 10 minutes the PTO shut the engine down. Turned the PTO off and engine starts right up and runs fine, Turn the electric PTO swith and the engine dies, if I flip the PTO switch off when the engine is dying she picks right up and runs fine. Sounds electrical to me anybody had this issue before?? any ideas??? I'm too hot from mowing to fool with it right now so thought I'd ask the question.

This mower will be only used on my personal yard so it will not be seeing a lot of use. I liked the way it cut and picked up everything (I;ve got a lot of long leaf pines that I need to keep the needles off the lawn)

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like an ol' clutch was put back on a new engine. If, with the engine off, turn the ignition on to the run position, pull the clutch switch on, (quiet please, no radios, backpack blowers running, wife in the house), you will here a definite click of the magnet being energized and engaging the clutch, try it several times, on and off, click,click click, this is the same set-up as the A.C. clutch in your car/truck. No click= problem, the bearings are shot $225/ new clutch or something simpler, my money is on a worn out clutch.

3. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Could I suggest with the engine turned off and out of gear you take two minuets to make sure the blades are rotating freely. I have come across decks that have been jammed.
    Or, disconnect the belts from the clutch assy, then restart the engine at try the clutch. You should hear/see the clutch engage. If it does not then as stated above it could be a worn clutch.
    Recheck the wiring. Good luck :)

=

4. wasmeneh

wasmeneh LawnSite Member

Well I tried your check, no click most of the time but the motor would still cut off after the PTO engages, The blades strat to spin but the motor immediatly dies. Tried it several times same result. Two times I heard the click with key on in run position but most time I didn't?
    Mike

5. Phil G

thinking this one through, I did have this problem with an old Wheel Horse some years ago. Can't help but think there is an electrical problem that is causing the failure. Going back to thinking:confused:

=

6. wasmeneh

wasmeneh LawnSite Member

The blades do start to spin but it's like a kill switch as been hit as the engine immediatly dies. I ordered a new PTO clutch but I'm still going to recheck the wiring. Again I was mowing when it started.

7. Phil G

Before you unpack and fit the new unit, try it without the belts fitted. If you unpack the new one and find it's doing the same you may not get a full refund if the seal on the new unit is broken.
    Do let us know how you get on, this is causing some head-scratching:dancing:

=

8. wasmeneh

wasmeneh LawnSite Member

Well I think I found the problem, after I had ordered the new part (trying to cancel as we speak) The previous ower had by passed all the safety switches. I checked them all and tapped them up. Now it seems to be fine. Yes the clutch now clicks when the ignition switch is on and the PTO switch is flipped on. Now I'm going to make sure it's not a heat related issue and let it run for a while.

Thanks
    Mike

9. Phil G

Now that's a result. Bet your ar$e if you'd taken it to a dealer they'd have found that and fitted a new blade clutch :dancing:

=

10. wasmeneh

wasmeneh LawnSite Member

Yeah you are right, Just took it out and mowed with it about 15 minutes worth.... no PTO issues. Yeah!!!!!

Thanks for the input I figured it was electrical.

Mike