Toro push mower stolen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Jun 13, 2008.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I just had my first piece of equipment stolen today. It was a $400 Toro variable speed push mower that, to date, was the best 21" I've ever had. I had had it for about 1 1/2 yrs. and used it on almost all of my jobs. I was finishing up a doctor's resident that I had only mowed twice and had strapped my mower down to the trailer with a rubber bunji I've always used(I'm buying cables and tying everything to my trailer tomorrow including my ZTR) I was hot from push mowing and jumped in the truck and drove up the street to a convenient store. When I got out, I noticed it was gone and I thought it had fallen off the trailer. I hauled back to the subdivision looking on both sides of the road and I met this truck and looked in my rear view mirror and saw the mower in the back(I'm almost certain it was mine). I made a U turn with my trailer in the road and floored it to catch up but he was gone. I was pissed. Ironically, my father just installed a security system in their house and made the comment just yesterday that times are tough and people are going to get desperate and her I am-no mower. I bust it working two jobs to support wife and kids and this happens.:hammerhead::hammerhead:
  2. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

That really sucks. I lock down everything almost all the time. Knock on wood I haven't lost anything yet.
  3. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Yea, part of that was my fault because all I've been doing is knocking on wood and not locking things down-too much trust. I'm going out to buy cables and locks this morning. My parents had a BR 400 stolen several yrs. ago and my dad was standing about 20 feet from the trailer guarding the equipment while my mother mowed and it was still stolen. I never understood how someone could steal something while a person was that close to a trailer but now I do. People can steal anything if they want to bad enough. Times are tough-Everyone needs to take extra precautions!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:
  4. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry about the mower you work hard for your equipment and it hurts when someone just takes it.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well that's odd...
    I've been missing my 2.5 gallon hand held sprayer, last time I saw it was on the trailer but it is also possible I left it at a customer's... Haven't seen it in near a week thou, done pulled out the spare by now.

So it might be gone, but way I look at it if someone was hard up enough they needed a $25 sprayer yet were decent enough to leave me my $300 trimmer sitting there so I could keep working, I really don't have but so much of a problem with it.
    It's like yeah, all right, you can have it if things are really like that.

Guess someone needed a free lawn mower, that's a bit harsh there, thou.
    I started chaining things back up, too.
  6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

You said you bunjied the mower to your trialer...then drove off....stoped at the store and saw it was missing....then you drove back in the direction of the home that you left...then saw a truck going in the opposite direction as you with the mower in the back.....IMO...that mower fell off of your truck when you pulled off from the home and was picked up by someone else off of the side of the that really dosen't mean it was stolen.....What would you do if you found a $400 mower laying on the side of the road? (be honest).I would have picked it up and put it in the back of my truck too. Unless I was 100% sure I knew who it belong to then I would return it to it's owner......That's just my opinion.....sorry & good luck.
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Convenience stores are trouble. I used to have a job that required me to be in/out of them checking on things a lot. They draw low-lifes like a flame draws moths. Parking at ANY commercial location is going to make you more vulnerable to theft. The odds of a thief happening by a residential neighborhood are probably lower. But some are worse than others. Home Depots are known for being places where thieves grab stuff out of contractors' trucks. Make sure you take what you need to eat and drink with you and you'll save money and time.

The cables are a good idea. . It's enough of a deterrent to keep the casual thief away while you're on a jobsite.
  8. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Just because you don't know who it belongs too, doesn't mean it's yours. After reading this, I hope you accidentily leave a mower and somebody who thinks like you drives by.
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

WRONG. Don't blame yourself for not locking your stuff up. Yes, you could have done more to prevent this from happening but to say it was partly your fault for not locking it up is 100% incorrect. It's still theft and whoever took it is 100% at fault. I don't care if you leave your stuff completely unlocked in the middle of cracktown. If someone takes your property, it's absolutely, positively, 100% their fault.

To say anybody is at fault because they didn't lock something implies theft is just a normal activity of society that should be tolerated to some extent.:hammerhead:
  10. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

O.K. smarta$$ tell me what would you would do if you found a mower on the side of the road?....(and don't give me that turn it in to the police crap)...1)Leave it there so that someone else can pick it up. 2) turn it in to the honest cops so that one of them can keep it.....oh wait..take a picture of it and post it around town like a lost for real...I am not a theif by no means nor would I knowingly I take a persons property. how many times have you guys seen people pick-up items laying on side of the road...that's all I'mm saying