Toro question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LHSlawnman86, Apr 13, 2005.

1. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i was looking to upgrade from a 36" to a 44" toro walk behind. i have narrowed it down to two.

1.) 44 inch hydro floating deck 17hp kawi. pistol grip
    2.) 44 inch belt floating deck 15hp kohler. t-bar (i love t-bar)
    both with electric start.

please help me with pricing on both any any comments on either.

could someone please let me know how pistol grip works, i have olny used t-bat and ecs.

thanks

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

If I Had to Chose Between Those Two...44"/17hp Pistol

T-Bar on Hydro Units...Bad.
    SFS Deck...Bad...Very Bad.

You'd Have to Give me a Toro/SFS T-Bar Walk for Free Before I'd Take it Over an eXmark Tracer or HP.

3. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

I got a 52 in proline 17 kaw. t-bar belt it works great I think getting hydro is a waste. IF you want hydro get it but I would still get the T- bar with the larger kaw. Also have a 52 in proline with a 14 kohler good mower with t-bar they are both floating decks but It needs more power in thick wet grass.

Pistol grips are hard on your wrist day in day out had scags before Hate them now I never get a walk behind again with pistol grips.

4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a 02 toro 44 hydro floater with the 15 kaw pistol grip, I love the machine it works great cant complain. I picked it up brand new with the tru trac sulky for 3500 bucks. I run double blades and a a piece of conver belt of the discharge and the thing stripes awsome. Iv haven't run into and problems with the 15 kaw being underpowered. Overall its a great machine and i like it.

5. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Sounds to me like you know what you're talking about!!! :sleeping:

6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

yea, Tbar and belt drive are a marriage in mowing heaven. the easiest to use of any, heck I really used to walk beside mine some and on hills. the lack of a hydro opens up more techniques> just let her float back as you go side to side by making sure she is aimed up at the end of each row. T bar and hydro is a waste.

7. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

If still thinking about hydro or belt. my yards range from 1/4 acre to 2.5 acres. And i think that if i go with belt i will get t-bar and if i get hydro ill go pistols. 17 kawi definitely.

Thanks

8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Get a t bar belt, I love em, mine is dead, and I now have a walker with 52 SD, and a Huslter WB with H bar (which ROCKS, I mean EASY to operate), but the old belt drive T bar is cheaper and so easy on the operator.