Toro Recycle blades...any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

What are the Recycle blades Toro make like?

I'm not talking Atomics, Gators etc, Recycler is another mulch blade they make...

2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Toro Recycler Blade - Low lift and is sharpened almost back to the mounting bolt. I am not impressed but then I am a great fan of High Lift the Recycler is at the other end of the spectrum. IMHO I would not put them on the Turbo Force if you want smaller clippings close the adjustable baffle.

BobR

3. Tonyr

Thanks Bob,

I do really like the high lifts, great at side discharging, and even very good at mulching with the mulch kit on.

What I'm trying to achieve is find a pretty good all rounder for say bermuda through to overgrown native grass paddocks, the idea is to leave the mulch kit off due to the time it takes to install and use a mulch blade to reduce clippings size when side discharged,then just use the baffle to fine tune the conditions of the jungle at the time. Basically for mowing in town I need small clippings and minimal throw.

Would you say that the recycle blade has less lift than the atomic?

And less lift than a gator magnum?

Thanks for your help again Bob.

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

TonyR - I am no fan of the 'recycler' or 'atomic' blades and did not do a side by side comparison but my seat of the pants opinion is that the 'atomic' had more lift than the 'recycler' and both of those blades were no match for the 'gator magnums'. IMHO the gators are closest to a high lift and they do an awesome job of grinding up leaves here in upstate New York.

BobR

5. Tonyr

Thanks Bob, that's the info I needed to hear now.

Probably seems silly I ask these questions, I've been waiting 2 weeks already for a set of recycles which is apparently stock which goes with the mulch kit, getting blades here is like getting a tooth extracted, long painful process:) And at over $100 a set making the right choice is important.

Wish Toro made a blade like the Exmark "wavey" blade, 4 cutting edges on each blade.....

If I can't get a mulch blade for my applications I'll go back to the high lift, the Atomic seems to have a short cutting edge too, weird for a mulching blade, they are exactly the same as the gator set I was sent, except the gator was very light and thin, I wouldn't use them on a commercial machine even, but for light mowing the atomics are ok....

Thanks again mate,

Tony.