Toro Recycler Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cgaengineer, Jul 18, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone know what comes inside this "kit" is it 3 blades and a shoot blocking device? The reason I ask is its $184.00 and a set of Gator Blades would cost me about $60.00. If its nothing special about the Recycler kit then I will go with Gators.

2. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Mine is for a 36" toro wb. It came with two blades, normal high lift (or whatever they're called), it also came with pieces of metal that essentially, encircles the blades under the deck. Also the shoot blocker. It works VERY well.

You have to remove some pieces from the deck as well. Some little curved steel pieces and the Baffle.

btw, I have finned blades on another machine and they can't mulch worth crap. Maybe if its really dry out it might look ok but if it's green and growing ferget about it. All those blades do is bung up the machine.

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure about the Toro Recycler Kit. I haven't used it. I use a set of gators (3) on my rider. Works like a charm.

4. cgaengineer

Would you say the $184 is worth the expense?

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

If you want to mulch, yes.

I was sooo happy when mine came in about 2 weeks late. I was side discharging for those two weeks and nobody was impressed with that.

6. cgaengineer

How well does it work on grass that has not been mowed a few days past its time (Tall Grass). Does it bog the mower and leave chunks?

7. cgaengineer

I looked at the Gators too...I have to say I like the price alot!

8. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

$60 dollars for gator blades? $20 dollars a blade? ;) Have you tried looking somewhere else for blades. I guess only Toro is offering those blades at the time being it's a new size at 40". I think I would look around though.

I think I pay around $30 for a set on my 48" Z-Master.

9. cgaengineer

I was just taking an average price and throwing it out there...as I have no idea how long the blades are, though I should have measured them when I had them off the other day to sharpen them.

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I've meant to post a thread about this for a while now, but here is the perfect opportunity. I have a 52" Toro Z, what I've found to be a very reliable mower with a very nice cut. However I purchased the recycling kit and after hours of trying to line up all of the holes under the deck I was very excited to try it. On a very dry lawn it works great. However if the lawn is slightly wet or tall all it does is make a mess. It would clump so bad which in turn when I finished a lawn I would drag it onto concrete and make a mess of that. I was always blowing lawns off afterwards or raking through them. I'm returning mine and looking into getting a blocker that you can control from the seat of the mower. I think Toro has one version and you can get after market ones. I hear Bad Boy Mowers makes one for Toro mowers. I think they are a little cheaper also. I would ask your local dealer.