1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Toro Rider Hard to Start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ohnomrbill, Oct 15, 2005.

1. ohnomrbill

ohnomrbill LawnSite Member

My son has a used Toro 8hp (Tecumseh) rear-engine riding mower. After a bit of cleaning, repairing and replacing it runs good except -- it won't START (when cold) unless he sprays Starting Fluid in the Air Filter. It'll restart when hot and runs fine. (He's been thru several cans of gas and cleaned out the carb bowl, maybe even had a friend rebuild the carb, not sure.)

Any thoughts?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First thing I would do is check to see if the throttle cable is closing the choke butterfly COMPLETELY closed and adjust as needed, If that didn't do it then a compression test.

3. ohnomrbill

ohnomrbill LawnSite Member

Thanx restrorob. The throttle appeared to be set correctly, -- the hole in the control cable was lined up with the notch so I just overcompensated a bit and set it a bit to the right (which would close the butterfly more). I didn't pull it apart to look at the choke but this worked so it must've been it.
    My son is happy and so am I. :)