Toro rider or not?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by weekendDIY, May 16, 2008.

1. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I had a Toro push mower that broke down (the transmission ate itself). I borrowed my neighbors rider (craftsman) and now I don't think I can go back. I only have about 1/3 of an acre but the rider will cut my time in half. I don't want to buy junk but at the same time for my small area I don't want to spend a ton.

With that said, are Toro riders any good? I can't find a review for them. They seem to be a little cheaper when compared to Deere, Cub, or Craftsman. I would be happy with a 42 inch rider. I can ask the Toro dealer but that would pretty much defeat the purpose of comparing brands. Big Box stores are useless

2. lawnmon

lawnmon LawnSite Member

I would advise looking at a Simplicity Regent in a 38" or 44" cut. They feature a deck with full width rear rollers that give an excellent cut.

The Snapper LT200 series is the same as a Regent but with a deck without the full width rollers. They are available in 38", 42" and 44" deck.

These mowers feature guts and not glitter. Expect to pay $1900 - $2600 depending on exact model.

Good luck,

Jack

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a decent mower from anyone, figure at least $1700-$2000 minimum.