Toro, SCAG, or Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Mar 14, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

What do you guys have to say about the out front deck collection 0 turn riding mowers made by these mfg's?

Toro, SCAG, and Walker

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

can only say for the Walker GHS ...the out front deck makes it killer for getting under trees & shrubs with low limbs ....the catcher packs in 9 bussels and dumps easy ...the whole unit is very compact & solid ..big downfall is the mower is slower than others

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Not having any formal hands on experience with them I would have to rate them in this order according to feedback and banter Ive come across on these machines:

1. Walker
    provides the best overall performance.
    2. Scag
    is a very durable machine, but is lacking in cut compared to a that of a walker.
    3. Toro
    does not seem to durable machines in this style market

Just what Ive heard.
    Kris

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have run the toro and the Walker. No comparison Walker is a far better built machine. I haven't run the Scag, but I would still say Walker.

5. aklscape

aklscape LawnSite Member

you gotta try the Scag - re: earlier thread stating it doesn't cut as well. wrong answer. The deck is about 30% deeper than the walker and has a tremendous amount of vacuum. The cougar is very sweet. You gotta try it. I would not trade mine for anything...well maybe another Cougar;)

6. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Some questions aklscape since you have one.

Does the Scag discharge to the right or the left in side discharge mode? The first year it looked like left, but this year it looks like they moved it to the right. Also, how does the collection system work compared to the Walker in terms of filling and plugging? Will it do the wet stuff in the spring. How does it handle hills, does it do the tail bounce deck scalp thing? I think these style of mowers are quite interesting but question their hill capabilities.

Ben