Toro self propelled mower - won't run

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jefkar, Mar 24, 2007.

1. jefkar

jefkar LawnSite Member

I replaced magneto, new carb, new plug, tested kill switch and it runs but not to speed required to mow grass. Verified mag gap, plug gap, good gas. Spent too much money to quit now. What else could it be?

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not familiar with the machine and you didn't describe the engine, but does it have a governor which may not be adjusted properly?

3. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Take the spark plug out and pull the cord to make sure it is firing. If you know it is firing, half of you problems are eliminated.

4. LarryF

Of course it's firing! He said it runs but not fast enough to mow with.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If this is a briggs engine, you have likely run the front of the mower under bushes or something and bent the governor spring connection point which is making the engine only run slow.

Untitled-1.jpg

6. jefkar

jefkar LawnSite Member

This Toro lawnmower has a 6.5 hp Tecumseh Engine --- I worked with the spring linkage yesterday and found that is the problem --- however I have a new problem in that I'm unsure how the spring & linkage reconnects together --- newz7151 Do you have a diagram for this engine? --- that would be helpful --- I appreciate all replies ---- thanks

7. LarryF

This site has a PDF of the Tecumseh service manual. Maybe you can find what you're looking for there.

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

8. jefkar

jefkar LawnSite Member

Thanks LarryF --- the site does help --- appreciate it.