Toro Self Propelled ??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SER, May 18, 2004.

1. SER

SER LawnSite Member

Hi all:

I need some information on a Toro Self propelled mower with a 6HP B&S. the engine runs fine and still starts on the first pull.
    The mower is a self propelled machine. When you engage the self propelled action the mower does not move. The belt is fine and turns the pulley, but does not make the machine go. I was told that there are some pins or keys on the shaft of the rear wheels that either come loose or break on these machines. Has enyone ever heard of this? Does anyone know how to fix this situation?
    SER :confused:

2. CSMITH

CSMITH LawnSite Member

is the cable adjusted correctly, if to loose it won't pull trans back too engage trans

3. SER

SER LawnSite Member

CSMITH;

Yes I checked the cable and tried adjusting it either too loose or too tight. Neither one worked. I checked the keys in the shaft of the rear tires, again to no avail. I went so far as to open up the transmission. NO LUCK. I hate to get rid of the machine, the engine is still good and starts on the first pull. Oh well I will keep trying.
    SER

4. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

SER,
    Is this a homeowner's or commercial unit. If you go to Toro.com
    you can enter the model and serial numbers and print the parts
    breakdown sheets for many of their units.
    On my commercial 21" I had to replace everything on the rear
    end except the tranny. This machine is 5 /2 years old with unknown hours. Check your belt, pinion gears, pulleys and even the rear wheels. If the gears are worn, this will keep the wheels form turning.

5. SER

SER LawnSite Member

Reliablelawnman;
    I checked everything you said, and still nothing. The machine is a little over a year old, and no longer under warranty! I will check the cable again, I just had a thought. I can always hang on to the machine until I get one with a bad engine.
    Thanks for the help.
    SER

6. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

i had one that had the same problem. they installed a new designed trans. because everyone was having problems.

7. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

SER,
    Is your Toro a commercial unit with BBC?
    Let me know.

8. SER

SER LawnSite Member

RELIABLELAWNLAWNMAN;
    RE Toro self propelled: It is a self propelled mower. I was told to do the following test by another tech. Remove the two rear wheels, and start the machine, and activate the self propelled mechanism. Is the shaft does not turn, it should be a transmission problem as opposed to a sheared key in the saft. Also, the pulley turns when you activate the self propelled mechanism. I was told that I could remove the Pulley bolt, remove the pulley and replace the gear that is attached to this shaft, and maybe the key. It "should" solve my problem. I got a quote for a new tranny, its about $100.00. I cant see putting that much money into something I found in the garbage. Unfortunately the machine is in great condition. Its only about a year old. Oh well, keep on trying..........
    SER. :rolleyes: