Toro SFS 44 Hydro/Hustler 48 W/B

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Poplen, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Poplen

Poplen LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of purchasing a w/b to compliment a 52" super surfer. Looked at a Toro SFS 44 hydro with pistol grips & Hustler 48 w/b. The only experience I have with a w/b is scag 48 belt. The plan is for this mower to take care of the smaller properties and backup the super surfer. I've gotten good prices on both machines, but was looking for a little feed back help me.

Len

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 Toro w/b's and I really like the Hydro over the belt. I'm happy with my Toro's and do see myself getting more of them in the future. I have great customer support here on Walker and Toro products, so that's mostly what you see in this area.

This is funny, I'm looking to replace my 44' Toro w/b Belt drive with a 52" Super Surfer to compliment my 52" Z-Master. I do a few large properties and using my 52" Z-Master and the 44" W/B is just taking to much time. The Z goes 9.5 MPH and I'm looking for something that goes and cuts well @ at least 8MPH. What kind of Surfer do you have and would you recommend it?

Thanks,
    Scott

3. Poplen

Poplen LawnSite Member

I have the Super Surfer 52" Kohler. Very good machine for smaller properties. I would reccomend it because I like the way it handles the difficult areas (small/tight). Your field of vision is an advantage. The Toro I'm looking at has a price of $2895, and I just can't pass this by.

4. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Do your self a favor and demo the Hustler. It is by far the most user friendly of the walk behinds. You can operate it with one hand if you want. Most any aftermarket sulky will work and it really sticks to slopes well. It was a little more expensive than the Toro or Scagg but well worth it.