Toro SFS deck - Atomic or Gator mulching blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wpines, Jun 3, 2006.

1. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

I have an SFS deck Toro. I like it okay. I've read good and bad on this forum about that deck. We've had a rainy season and the grass gets higher than normal between mowings so when I mow with standard blades, I'm getting too much visible clippings. I haven't had a Toro before and my question is;
    Is there a difference between the performance of the Toro "Atomic" blades and the "Gator" blades on the SFS deck?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the toro blades and I dont like them, I use grass hawgs and they are more like the gators and they much better than the toro blade

wayne

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I just switched out my stock toro blades for some atomic blades on my 44 w/SFS deck. The atomic blades leave finer clippings and are better in wet or tall grass than regular blades from what I have seen.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We had an SFS deck Toro Z-turn a few years ago,the atomics would leave quite a few more stringers,then the gators. The SFS deck does not do a very good job of chopping up the clippings, cut off a 3 inch grass blade,and that is pretty much what gets discharged. The gators do help some what in achieving finer clippings.

5. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

What is a grass hawg? Is that a brand name?

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yes it is a name brand, it resembles a gator blade very close, I purchase mine from Mow More supply on the net. www.mowmore.com

wayne