Toro SFS deck - mulching?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy Bell, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Jimmy Bell

Jimmy Bell LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Z255, 52" deck with 25 HP Kohler. I cut a beautiful variety of fescue, weeds and crabgrass. I've been side discharging for 2 years now but, I'm thinking about mulching. Anybody buy the Toro mulch kit and get decent results? I've run mulching blades and regular medium lift with not a lot of difference noted.

2. rico387

rico387 LawnSite Member

I Have a Recycler Kit for a 52"SFS deck unused, in the box that will not work on my T-Force deck. When installed your clippings will look like sawdust. It will slow you down in very tall stuff. If you want it, I'll take 100 bucks or trade nearly anything useful that doesn't eat.
    Rick.
    rico387@aol.com

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a recycler kit for my 52" Z Master and it works great.

4. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Has anyone had any trouble withe the Fabricated SFS decks not holding up? ie..holes in deck. The metal seem really thin. Toro replaced deck in May on my mulching mower900 hrs. Deck on order for discharging mower 850 hrs. and now another mulching mower 350 hrs. is starting to show wear spots in deck. These units are all Z255 units with 62" fabricated decks. I also have a 52" 1200 hrs and 61" 2400 hrs. Scag and have never replaced decks.

5. Qwikchute

Qwikchute LawnSite Member

JIMMY BELL
    I might have a product to help you out it is the Qwikchute it is an OCDC (operator controlled discharge chute). A mulch kit for your mower once installed doesn't give you any options. If you don't want to mulch all the time the Qwikchute lets you mulch only when you need to by simply moving the handle to close the chute. We make a unit to go on your Toro. See some pictures on our web site at www.qwikchute.com or give us a call.
    Hope this helps.
    Dale

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

That is hardly mulching. It will leave a ugly windrow of clippings on the discharge side of the mower. Good for controling discharge flow when needed, but not a substitute for a real mulch kit.

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto.....

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I've installed mulch kits on 44" & 52" SFS decks and taken them off soon after.....The SFS is Way To Shallow to Mulch in Most Conditions & the Kit Really Weighs down the Front End w/was a Pain on the 44" Walk.

Try an eXmark.

9. Jimmy Bell

Jimmy Bell LawnSite Member

Since I first asked about this - well, things change. I bought the Toro with the hopes of getting my yard / mother's yard looking good and once that happened - well, start cutting part time for others. Problem is: I don't have the free time I thought I would have. I want to spend time with my kids and give them the attention my dad never gave me. Also, around my house, every Bubba, Pedro and little Poindexter the neighbor's kid are all cutting grass. I know how hard your job is, I know what a risk you all take getting into this line of work. You all have my respect and admiration for what you do. That said, I'm selling the Toro and getting a Simplicity lawn mower and a Yamaha 80 for my daughter. Mow safe!

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search using SFS as the search term. You're going to see a lot of very ugly comments. Don't know what to tell you. Does anyone know if he can get a different deck installed on his Toros?