toro sfs decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hollis Maintenance, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Hollis Maintenance

Hollis Maintenance LawnSite Member

i saw a toro z , 60" deck mulching in a good drizzle awhile ago .
    looked like it was doing a good job to me. anyone have an opinion to what kind of set up is the best? I'm looking at w/b toro . Either a fixed/gear 48" or a floating/gear 44". Help .........

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Here is the Best Advice You Will Ever Get...Steer Clear of sfs Decks...they are 15 Year Old Technology and they are Slowly Being Phased out for Deeper Better Baffled Turbo Force Decks....

If you Need a Walk Now get an eXmark...the Decks are Much Much Better.

3. Hollis Maintenance

Hollis Maintenance LawnSite Member

thanks, fareway . You like the floating deck or fixed deck? Which blades do you prefer when mulching?

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a wb with a 44" sfs deck. It is my wet day mower because it handles wet grass great. But discharging, not mulching. It also mows tall grass better than my 48" Exmark or 32" Toro/Exmark decks. For whatever reason it disperses really well in wet conditions.

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro w/b 52" sfs deck. w 18 koh. early spring I use Gators, then

Toro oem blades, works great in wet grass very few lumps. Ed

6. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 62" SFS deck and i really like it. I think its just people dont really know how to use the deck with different blade combo's that makes them not like it. It works great in wet tall grass with the standard lift blades and when it gets dry out switch to the atomic/gator blades. I hardly ever have a problem with clumping.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Toro fiXed deck Walks are Rebadged eXmark Metro's or Viking's so they are Fine...it's the Floating sfs You Must Avoid...the eXmark tri-vantage Floater is Much Better...sfs are Finally Being Phased out after 15 Years.

RIP sfs....You Sucked.

8. jallen191

jallen191 LawnSite Member
    from RI

What Is A Sfs Deck?

9. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

CT.: I agree with you I have a 52" Toro classic. I change blades

for conditions. If I need to grind leaves I turn over the bolts that hold the

discharge chute. This puts the nuts in the air flow it holds the leaves under

the deck longer. Ed

10. jallen191

jallen191 LawnSite Member
    from RI

What Is A Sfs Deck? Please Someone?