1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

toro snowthrower-carb problem?-please help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by leetheeel, Nov 10, 2002.

1. leetheeel

leetheeel LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

This is probably something simple, but I am striking out. I couldn't start the 5 hp tecumpseh snow-king engine and believe that it was due to some very stale gas. I drained the tank and lines, replaced the sparkplug, removed the carburator and opened the float bowl and sprayed gumout in every orifice of the carb until it ran out from some other orifice. After reassembly the thing runs, but only with the choke on full...even after fully warming up. If I open the choke at all the engine stalls.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like your main fuel circuit is plugged. you carb needs to be soaked in carb cleaner,sprayed out with brakleen,blown out with compressed air and install a carb kit. that should do it. or you could buy a new carb.
    sometimes spraying it isn't good enough, you have to blow it out also.
  3. leetheeel

leetheeel LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Many thanks. The carb is coming off next chance I get and I will soak it and blow it out with air as advised. I wonder if these these things ever complete the "ungumming" process themselves by just runnung them for awhile? Maybe the solvent and detergent properties of gasoline aren't sufficient for this to occur.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been beaten by several carbs. i have soaked them in dip solvent,sprayed out with carb cleaner,sprayed out with Brakleen,blown out with 125 lbs pressure,install new carb kit and it still doesn't run good. then i buy a brand new carb and like magic it runs like new. i have almost come to the conclusion to buy new carbs on most engines to save time and potential headaches. usually the throttle shaft is loose anyway so it may just be the best solution.
    gasoline will not touch the varnish build up in carbs so it won't get any better. some of the new solvents won't either. the old stuff worked a lot better but you may grow an extra finger or two!
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i some times have had thing "ungum" themselves just by running for a few, never was a long time solution though
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

All you need to do is clean the needle jet bar. It has very small holes in it. The "important" one is at a 45 degree angle, not straight through the bar itself. Use picture wire to clean it, or a piece of a wire brush.
    Good luck,
  7. bluemeanie

bluemeanie LawnSite Member

I too have found that replacing the carb was eventually needed, but I'm going to try the above next time. Thanks.
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, most guy's to that.........It's that damn 45 degree hole that most of miss while cleaning.
  9. Them extra fingers are for scratching our as* while trying to figure out how to get the sum beech to run.:mad: