Toro Spindle Assemblies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lbmd1, Apr 21, 2000.

1. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if any of you Toro owners know of a distributor that carries spindle assemblies for the 62&quot; groundsmaster deck( aka super flow deck). I just got soaked by my local dealer and want to experience the pain in realizing how much I overpaid. ($225)<br>Any help for the future? How about it Stone, you are the Toro Guru!<p>Mike

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

isnt your older z master only 2 years old? and it needs a new spindle already? they have very good spindles on them! one of the few companys that dont use the crappy aluminum spindles!

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

soaked by dealer ??<br>was he charging more than a different toro dealer ?<br>if so, i would take my business elsewhere...<br>if not, he is going by toro list price...<br>some of those grounds master spindles are toro specials, and they charge accordingly, the dealer does not set the price...toro does, and the dealer does not make much money on these type of items...<p>just some thoughts...<br>let us know what happens in your aftermarket search<br>

4. lbmd1

Mowerconsultant, <br> no slighting on my toro dealer meant. What I meant was toro parts in general for the z master series being overpriced. While other spindle assemblies are going for $49.99 in the landscaper supply catalog, it's hard to justify the additional $175 for the same type of equipment. Actually my dealer ranks a-1 on service on my machine. <br> Evan, my oldest z master turns 2 next week. It has over 900 hrs on it. The bearing set went on it. But by the time you price out the bearings, 2 @ $54.95, and all the various parts, clips, rings, and labor to assemble it, that way it was costing me $160. So I'd rather pay for a brand new fully assemble one and keep the old one for parts in case another spindle goes. This is the first out of pocket repair for this z that I have had in over 900 hrs, so I don't mind it too much. Just wish I had a choice for parts to keep the dealer competitive. Wait till you have to replace the engine to deck belt at $90, or the deck belt at $51. Yikes!

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

ive thought about that engine to deck belt! how many hours did it last before you needed to replace it for the first time? how abou the deckbelts? also how often were you greasing those spindles and how many pumps?

6. lbmd1

Evan,<br> the z master form 2 years ago had to have a retro fitting because the belt was constantly jumping off from the engine to deck. I went through 4 belts! before they came out with this retro. all but one paid by the dealer. I have had the same one on for over a year now with no sign of wearing. The deck belt was just replaced this week for the first time. As for greasing, I check every other day and pump it about 8-10 times. This is an area that I am laxed about. I seem to have no problem changing and sharpening blades every day (have to after 25 lawns a day)but I neglect alot of PM on the machines. That is a goal of mine this year to keep on top of these more important matters. Hey you never let me know where you got the new magnum gator blades for your z from!<p>Mike

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

what is the part number you bought from toro ?<br>i got a new parts catalog here, and i would like to see if it crooses over to a aftermarket number...

8. lbmd1

Mowerconsultant, <br> I had to order it, but I believe the number is 98-3755. Thanks!

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

lbmd1:<br>If your putting a lot of hours on your manchine in 2 days, you may not be putting in enough grease so it gets to the top bearing. I wouldn't be satisfied with getting just 900 hours out of spindles. The Chopper I run turned 2,700 hours today and it still has all original spindle bearings. That is 3 times as many hours and the bearings are still in good shape. By filling up the spindle housing with grease when you grease it, it gets grease to the top bearing and squeezes out moisture that can get in there too. Hope this helps.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no reason to have early bearing failure except for operator error. All cutters using mowers with tapered roller bearings should have 2 grease guns. One gun should have a very high quality grease and be used only on the spindle bearings. The toro spindles will last just about as long as the deck as long as they are maintained. Keep the top of the deck free of build-up of debris. Inspect the spindles from the underside regularily. Keep proper tension on the drive belts (this is tough on the 52&quot;-72&quot; zmaster since the belt is so long)to prevent beating up the bearings. Keep the blades sharp at all times. Grease the toro bearings with 5 pumps every 8 hours of operation. The center bearing on the toro zmasters is probably the weak link on the deck drive system.