toro spindle bearing problems

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chatty, Jan 24, 2008.

1. chatty

chatty LawnSite Member

hi
    have a 1 year old zx440,have had problems with the spindle bearings since day dot.
    they only last between 3 to 10 hours(mainly the centre),have been changed by the dealer 4 times.
    this is a great inconvenience and they are not going to do it forever.
    i think they should be sealed better and be greasable,but there not.
    hope someone out there can help.

2. Maxify

Maxify LawnSite Member

What you have is a residential mower and, no doubt you're attempting to cut more with it than is recommended by the manufacturer. The spindles are not made to the specs for commercial units and break down more often. That being said, buy a used commercial unit. For what you spent on that Toro new you could've purchased a mower that would've lasted far longer than what any residential unit could've. You get what you pay for.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Even commercial units aren't really made for bush hogging, so just because I like to use mine to grind down small stumps doesn't mean it's what it was designed for. I also know wear and tear is directly related to the condition of the turf, increasing exponentially with anything below pure lawn.

Somewhat unfortunate is just because it is rated for acres doesn't mean that just because the land measures out to this that it will cut whatever grows there. Dust or dirt and rocks is the absolute worst, followed closely by yards consisting of mostly weeds, thou I'm still somewhat surprised they'd wear that fast, which is to say I don't know what exactly is going on here.

Mine used to last a season or two, but ever since I stopped accepting anything that doesn't rate as a quality lawn it has been 4 or 5 years since I replaced any and they don't seem to be showing for the worse of the wear factors yet (thou I also haven't checked them in the past month or two). But I dare say parts wear five to eight and ten times faster in worse off lots, easily, and please stop looking so astounded lol, that's what I meant by exponential increase on wear and tear.

Possibly the best recommendation at this time is to fix it up and sell it before it even gets used again, get it in the best shape possible with one final bearing replacement, clean it up and get what you can for it, then start looking for a used commercial duty mower and on that note you may wish to think in terms of a Wb.

4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

if the blades are way out of balance could be the problem

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

That's a $4400 machine in the US. 18hp Kohler Command. Not cheap, but not commercial, and the deck is definitely not heavy duty. If it keeps up, and it would appear you have 2 years left on warranty, at some point of frustration I would try to find a good place to drill & tap the spindle housings for grease fittings. Lot of trouble to take everything apart and put it on the drill press, but you don't want chips in it when it goes back together. I'm pretty sure that would void your warranty on the deck, at the least. Also use extreme pressure high temp grease if you do it.

Another option would be to get the same size bearings at an autoparts store and that might work if the brand Toro is using is poor. And make sure the blades are balanced like Humble1 said.

Has anyone used bearings with metal seals to solve this kind of problem? They cost more so I wonder would they work?

6. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

Great suggestion, neighbor of mine had the same problem, sent him to
    the NAPA store and replaced with the metal sealed bearings, this was in
    June of last year, he told me one day last month that solved his problem.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, very glad to know that.