Toro spindles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by The Grass Amputator, Aug 5, 2005.

1. The Grass Amputator

The Grass Amputator LawnSite Member

I have a Toro ZMaster, 62" cut, 3 spindle system with the middle spindle being the 'main/drive' spindle. About 4 months back, I hit something with one of the outside blades and it caused the nut holding the center pulley to come loose. As a result, I ended up buying a $228.00 new one from my dealer. Immediately following the install of the new unit, I spot-welded the nuts on all 3 pulleys, and that's seemed to remedy the situation.

I recently began hearing a 'roaring' noise come from the left outside pulley/spindle, so I know that a replacement isn't too far off into the future. This has got me to wondering if Toro makes a rebuild kit for the spindles....Anyone know if they do?

-Scott

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest tearing the spindle down now before any other damage is done, Take the old bearings to a NAPA auto parts store or bearing house for match-up replacements. This would be much cheeper than going to the dealer for a kit if there is such a thing.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I had that same roaring noise begin on my Gravely, only problem with it so far fwiw. But anyway turned out it was a bad spindle which surprised my dealer because they boast about these main. free things. Tear it down NOW like mentioned above or you WILL destroy the spindle, if it isnt already destroyed.

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, what he said. And when you have it apart, check the inside of the spindle housing for wear and tear. Also, run the spindle shaft along a flat surface and check to see that it is NOT BENT. When re-assembled, load it up with a good quality grease. Have fun and let us know how it turned out.