Toro sprinkler install.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by waterman1971, Apr 3, 2010.

1. waterman1971

waterman1971 LawnSite Member

Hello, hoping for some advice on a sprinkler system install.

I am attempting to irrigate an area approx 52' x 189'. This area has a radius on both ends. 1" pvc piping was used throughout this installation.

This installation is pressured by a large hydro pneumatic tank. I can adjust the pressure via an inline pressure regulator. The current range on my hydro tank is 74-52 psi. We have it set to deliver around 58 psi to our facility.

I installed 6 toro flo pro xl part #53823 5" pop up rotors. These were installed directly down the centerline of this area, equally spaced.

The actual distribution in terms of radius is per manufacturer spec.

The problem I am experiencing, is the distribution inside the radius is poor to say the least. Hope this makes sense.

My question to the experts is in two parts.

1) Should I replace these units with a higher quality
    product? ​

2) Which unit should I choose?
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i dont know about these heads, but i can tellyou a line of heads down the center only is the worst layout you can do, it should always start from the edges and go around the perimiter and then have heads in the middle to achieve head to head coverage as needed. plus matching the precipitaion rates of all the heads determined by the radius of the head( 90degrees, 180 degrees etc). sounds like you need a pro to come int and redo this project!
  3. waterman1971

I really wish I could. My employer will supply me with the material I need, but i'm afraid the I must perform the labor. Perhaps I could place additional rotors at 20' centers and achieve acceptable results. Thank you for the response. If i could insert a skp file it might help.
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

A look at the design and system parameters is really necessary to make any recommendation. That said .... as already stated, a row of full circle rotors won't cut it. Adding more rotors in the center will help somewhat (assuming you even have the flow available), however it still will not address all the edge coverage problems.
  5. waterman1971

These rotors are 40' on center

The two ends of the lawn have rotors installed as well. I am unable to add the graphic, but you get the idea.

The actual coverage radius extends 6" outside of the green area, but again my limited knowledge of this design software limits my ability to accurately show this.

The dark blue represents "good" distribution, while the lighter color remains less than ideal in terms of coverage.

I can deliver water at a rate of 10.95 gpm @ 58 psi.

Obviously if i add additional rotors the uniformity of coverage will improve.

I was hoping that someone had ideas about the actual performance of the rotor itself.

Perhaps some rotors distribute more evenly inside the maximum range than others.
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I assume this is all running on one valve?

Plus, why do you believe that is the water distribution? A good rotor will not dump the majority of the water at the edge of the radius.
  7. waterman1971

That is correct sir, the pipe diameter supplying the valve is 3/4". I have a 2" available if additional volume is needed.

In response, it appears that is how the water is being distributed. I welcome recommendations on superior rotors.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  8. waterman1971

I was using impact rotors prior to this, and they appeared to distribute water more evenly.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Well, let's cut to the chase ..... you are looking at redoing the entire system if you want to water this area correctly. It simply is not possible to fix this system, even if you were able to renozzle or change out the sprinklers with ones that have lower flow. Currently, you have already exceeded the capacity of the system to support the installed sprinklers (assuming you are using the 3 GPM nozzles that came with the sprinklers).

You should be concerned with volume, especially since your installed rotors are calling for 18 GPM, but you only are supplying ~11 GPM. Furthermore, even at ~11 GPM you are either right at, or have exceeded the maximum safe flow velocity for pretty much all types of 3/4" PVC.

Available flow is one the the primary factors in designing an irrigation system, you cannot design a system or a single zone without taking this into consideration. Personally, I try to keep my total flow per zone to around 80% of what is available to allow for supply fluctuations and adjustment flexibility.

Bottom line .... you need to start from scratch here. If you are saddled with doing the work, then at the very least you should get a professional to design the system, otherwise you are simply wasting time and money. I personally almost never design a system with anything less than 1" valve, and in your case, that would be the minimum size you should use.
  10. waterman1971

Thank you so much for your help. If interpret your advice correctly, splitting these rotors into two separate zones may provide better distribution. Also the possibility of using a 2" supply would be feasible.