1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Stamped & Welded Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lbmd1, Mar 2, 2003.

1. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just want to clarify alot of misconceptions here on the board regarding Toro decks. So many times I hear " Toro 's are the same as Exmark except for their inferior stamped decks" "Don't buy Toro decks because they are stamped and are weaker" Like one of the members taglines says "better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" I don't claim to be an authority on Exmark, Scag, John Deere, etc.., so I don't chime in with my opinions because they would be without merit. Toro makes both welded AND stamped decks. Their 48" fixed decks are welded, their 62" SFS decks are welded and their 72" decks are welded. Those are a few that I am sure are welded. Many of the HP class Z riders and floating deck walk behinds are stamped. I also don't know what you guys do with your decks to abuse them so horribly or how long you keep them to stay away from other manufacturers besides Exmark because of their welded decks. We are on our 5th Zmaster and have never dented, creased, bent or abused these decks, nor have they rotted through. I just wanted to clear things up so when people or newbies ask about Toro mowers, they don't go out and not buy one because someone here says they are inferior because they have stamped decks. Remember, opinions are like a*#holes, everyone has one. Have a nice day.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Never owned one but know a guy that has. He's replaced the deck on his already and it was stamped.

I think the longevity of a deck has a lot to do with your area. Our warm season grass for the most part is cut shorter than the cool season........that is based on what I read here. With our decks being closer to the ground by an inch to an inch and 1/2 we are also closer to the dirt. With high lift blades we can create one heck of a vacuum bringing sand and dirt into the chambers literally sandblasting them. Of course they aren't going to last as long doing this. One of my Chopper decks has a plate welded over a hole already and it's not stamped. Winter work down here is even worse on them because you really have to get the deck low to do cleanups and regular monthly visits. The grass gets pretty thin and 99% of your customers don't want to be overseeded with rye....which would really help the situation.

The thicker the deck the better round here.
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have owned 3 toros, 1 with welded and 2 with stamped decks. None have ever bent or cracked. I also think it should be made clear that these are heavy duty stamped steel, not lightweight like you'd find on a craftsman. I've done my share of banging them around with no problems.

Now if you have employees who abuse equipment, you might want to stick with heavier decks.

My 12.5hp Toro 36" driving two blades cuts heavy tall grass better than the 44" or 37" units did. But I wonder about some of the fine distinctions being made here about cut quality. Especially on tall cool season turf, which isn't as picky about how it's cut as short dense stuff like Bermuda.
  4. 1st Class Lawns

1st Class Lawns LawnSite Member

I have used Toro mowers since 1991 and have never had a problem with the decks at all. They are very dependable mowers.
    I have also read post here concerning Toro decks not chopping up the clippings fine enough. Again, I don't have this problem. Maybe the ones that have this problem should remember the 1/3 rule.
    I have just bought a new 52" WB Toro. When I need another mower it will be a Toro.
    1st Class Lawn Service
  5. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

My problem with the stamped deck toro was this........................................................................the cut sucked
  6. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I don't get what other guys are talking about either, never had any problems with mine or know anybody that has. Ive never gotten into any of these debates on here as I didn't sign up to get into the mine is better than yours arguments but I can say I love my equipment and my customers love the cut . I'm not planning on changing any thing.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, nowadays the only stamped decks toro has are the 32 (single blade recycler model) 44 & 52's. The 36,62 and 72 floater decks are fabricated. All of their fixed decks 32,36 & 48 are actually Exmark metro's (right down to the flow control baffles) with a t-bar. I have 3 of the 44's and I think they cut great. Use what you like though? :eek:
  8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

My opinion (I have many) of stamped decks is they have two limitations. 1. The thickness of metal that can be used. 2. The depth of the stamping (deck height). Thick tall decks seem to work best. Trying to stamp thick mat. in a deep draw is hard and leaves thin areas.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here is what it realy boils down to. Decks can be stamped out of thick, hard heavy steel. Plus they can be stamped out deep and still remain very strong. They can also be stamped in such a way that would make them far superior to a fabricated deck, mulching, discharging, collecting ect under most all conditions.

The simple fact is that no MFG, less John Deere is willing to step up to the plate and buy the needed machinery to stamp such a deck, not when they can weld one up that will do a good job we'll easily accept. It takes 4 million pounds of pressure to stamp the 7-Iron deck. Then fabrication has to be done as well.

Now I can see the point of wearing holes in the thinner decks in some areas. You can do some serious sandblasting under there! But what you guys do to bend, dent or warp something like Toro's deck, I'll neve know. Do you launch it full speed into a stump? What?

My complaint with stamped decks is most are too dang shallow in the rear, the Toro deck included. But you can easily tell the Toro SFS deck is designed for fast side discharge.
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

As a manufacturing engineer I am just saying that thick deep draws pose manufacturing and quality problems. There are lots of ways to compromise a deck. You throw the word "design" around a lot! Are you a designer? Any idea of the design process? Could you be a bit defensive about green equipment? Seems to me to name a deck (seven iron deck) is a creative marketing ploy to market a machine with an inferior deck. I have to agree with you on the other thread that those 3 mowers are all the same. Just paint difference.