Toro Stand on Aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Landscraper1, Sep 27, 2012.

1. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

From day one I've removed the access plate & never re-installed it. I like being able to easily remove any turf that might have wrapped up due to localized grubb infestation. Having a clear view of sprinkler heads etc is helpful also. For example if a head is 2 feet out from a driveway I can simply back up tight to the slab then view progress towards sprinkler to raise then lower after clearing. Small yards so you have to be detail oriented.

2. weather command

weather command LawnSite Member

I have heard the same thing abot the exmark from several different people...bad axle issues :-(

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We had our Exmark inspected (Johnson Creek, WI). Same thing -- Ryan found the axle to be a weak point. I approached my local Exmark/Toro dealer about this. They said they only had one ZTR (mower) with a bad axle, and it was brand new???

I love my Exmark aerator, but if Ryan can come up with a better version, I would be interested.

Ryan ride on aerator.jpg

4. weather command

weather command LawnSite Member

yeah, not good..i would never buy one due to what I have heard from close friends in the business...AND, I need one...do about 250 core aerations a year

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ryan still makes great aerators. Not sure what their plans are regarding another stand-on aerator, but they really helped us out with our "tow behind" aerators. We still use their 48" (36' effective) hydraulic lift tow behind aerators. We had issues with our two tow behinds, but Ryan fixed us up quickly. (nice job)

Cool thing about the Ryan tow-behinds is we can "double" the number of original tines. Not the best regarding core aeration, but it's perfect regarding seeding/aeration.

This aerator was new in 1992. Double tines. Still works. Made in USA.

002.jpg

6. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh Larry!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mowing4cash

mowing4cash LawnSite Member
    from us

I love my ride on. Easily $250 per hour. Wish I could run it everyday for 16 weeks a year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like a photo of an old Ryan Rideaire.. Had a short life and died from general dislike. I cannot imagine someone still has one.

9. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

6565BR is the Kevlar Gates belt for the hydro's. O'reilly Auto parts Line # GAT & is $16. Keep an eye on its tension or risk the cooling fan below the pulley coming apart as the tensioner pulley nears.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I was having belt problems with my Exmark until I took a look at the tensioner and idler pulleys. Turns out one was high and the other was low. Enough that the belt would rub on the side of the pulley. I readjusted them and have no problem since, knock on wood. I don't think the axles are weak, I believe the way the gear is welded to the axle is the problem. That is my opinion based on the weld breaking on my left axle. I took it to a friend of mine who is excellent at fabrication and welding and it will be welded on both sides of the gear. I would not be doing aerations if I did not have this machine. I did over 200,000 Sq. Ft. today and felt fine at the end of the day. Any other machine I would have been dead or with a pull behind would have taken me a lot longer. Never pulled the walk behind off the trailer.