toro sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LHSlawnman86, Nov 11, 2004.

1. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i got my new toro sulky today. i went to hook it up and it does not fit. can anybody giv me some help or send me pictures of hoe theirs are attached.

2. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

please help

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I don't know if this will help, but try Toro.com and go to their master parts viewer with your model #'s and see if you can pull up some pictures.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Bought an nine-year-old Toro Proline 44 gear about a month ago, LHS. Had been sitting up. Cleaned the carb, changed oil, 2 new belts, new blades and I love this old t-bar.

It came with a large steel bumper with a ball hitch on top of it. This assembly bolts on the back of the power unit with 6 bolts. There is a second large sliding ball on a rod underneath the sulky tongue. This ball fits into machined blocks on the bumper which are located under the hitch ball above, and this controls the self-steering. Sorry, don't have manuals or part numbers, and I'm not technology saavy enough to post pics.

Drilled one new hole so as to move one mounting bolt a little farther from the transmission pulley. This makes for easier removal/install of the bumper (used a spacer on the drill bit to avoid "pull through" and hitting transmission belt).

When the bumper/hitch is on the mower, it digs hard into the ground or pavement when taking the mower on/off the trailer. But I like the auto-steer sulky. Worth it to me to install and remove the bumper for one acre or more. However, keep the sulky tire pressure low or it is a rough ride.

Let me add that the previous owner said the mower kept thowing belts. It was missing any snubbers for the belt that runs between the clutch v-pulley and the deck drive v-pulley. There are two square, carriage bolt holes for some kind of snubbers at the back of the deck.

Used two each, 4 or 5 inch long 3/8 diameter machine bolts in those two holes to install two each Gravely flat idler pulleys @ 4.5 OD x 2 high x 3/8 bolt hole, namely Gravely part #34286 (9.99 apiece from Mow More). The flats on the square holes have to be rat-tail filed a bit to get the bolts in. These original deck hole locations and these Gravely idlers are a good luck match. Don't ask me how.

Used collar spacers & washers to get the elevation adjusted where the idler pulleys will accomodate a 1.5 to 3.0 inch cutting height range. Could make this range higher or lower by adding or subtracting spacers. This is less than the 1.0 to 4.0 original cut height range, but the 1.5 to 3.0 works for me.

Presently this belt gets roller snubbed on both backsides, but the idlers barely exert any pressure on the belt. It rides either near the top or the bottom flanges of the new idlers when cutting at the two extremes (1.5 or 3.0). The belt bounces up and down slightly, but it does not contact the flanges when cutting. I used a file and emory cloth to take the sharp edge off of the flanges anyway. There appears to be no wear at all on the back side of the belt. It does not dance hardly at all; it has very smooth motion.

Forgot to add that I had to cut the two back tabs off of the belt & pulley cover to make room for the new idlers. Have about 12 to 14 hours on the machine now with no problems at all. Belt looks new. The belt throwing problem is solved I think. Hope this will be of help to somebody with a 44.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Have 30-35 hrs on this Toro now. Belt problem seems solved for sure. The mower I use this old t-bar, the mower I like it. Used it on some smaller lots without the sulky and the maneuverability is very good. Real reverse, too, on the 4-speed Peerless. Think my next mower will be a new Toro.

6. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

LHS,

What mower were you trying to fit the sulky onto?

Did you get your problem solved?

How much did the Toro sulky run you? They are supposed to be the best!

Jay Ray,

Terry, at Exmark, has hinted that Exmark is coming out with a new sulky soon and I am hoping it is close to the Toro Tru Trak. I would love one for my Metro!

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Which sulky do you have? The tru-trac is for hydros.

The self steering will work. I have a 52 Toro classic. I use

a 2 wheel trailing sulky. with a trailer ball on the mower.

Ed