1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro/Suzuki engine start question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a Toro Proline 21" with 5.5hp Suzuki 2 cycle in April. My old LB had a transmission problem and couldn't afford to wait to get the parts to fix. Later I did get it fixed, great mower-- I use it as a second hand mower for some lawns.

I like the Toro, especially the engine -- nice purr to it, great power. I know, the engine does not cut the grass, the blades and mower deck are important, but I like the sound and feel of good equipment!

But, I have a question that I did not see addressed in other threads that are related to Toro and the Suzuki engine. The question is warm-starting.

When cold, three pumps on the primer bulb, no choke, and it starts first pull. When hot, after dumping a bag, one pull, and it fires up nicely. But, when warm, I've not yet found the combination of primer, choke, and throttle position to make it fire easily.

By warm-start, I'm talking about finishing one job, putting it on the trailer, driving a short distance, pulling it off, and getting started at the next job. Usually, these times are 10-20 minutes. The engine hasn't fully cooled, but certainly is no longer hot.

I've tried primer bulb, one, two, three times. I've tried choke with no primer, and various combinations. I've also tried throttle at idle position.

I often need 5-6 pulls on the rope. It usually has some puff of smoke, indicating flooding. But, with no choke, no primer, it does not start either.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

BTW, in general: Toro for productivity, LB for good result, IMO.

I was hoping the Toro would give me some discharge capability, but a friend loaned me the discharge chute that attaches to the bagging chute -- a joke! And, discharge with the LB is also a joke. The Toro does a better mulching job than the LB for my work. The side bagger on the LB is THE BEST for bagging when damp or wet.

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

1 primer push on choke pull as rope is recoiling move throttle to high

Warm: leave throttle on high and pull.
    You are wasting time and energy man

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I've got a toro 2-cycle and just purchased a toro 4-cycle with the Kawasaki 5.5 engine.

I find my 2-cycle takes 5-6 primer pushes to cold start. Once warm, it always starts on the first or second pull. My 4 cycle starts first pull cold or hot, runs quieter and the regular oil changes don't add up to too much maintenance time.

However, I'm trying to move away from the 2-cycle mowers due to the exhaust fumes. No matter how I tweak the mix, the fumes get to me by the end of the day.

Anyone else experience that problem with their 2-cycle mowers? I'm curious about this one.
  4. dlandscaping

from mass

5-6 primes?
    do we have the same machine? I didnt even prime today took two pulls one choke and the other high and it was under 40 out
  5. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem. Sometimes takes up to 10 pulls to start it once it is very hot. Get the puff of smoke just as you do.

I also went to an old Toro blade(low lift) and get a much better cut on thick grass. Don't know the model number but the blade is red. I was having too much uncut grass.

Some of the commercial guys here have gone to eliminating the kill switch.

Also tried the 4 cycle model and found it to have more power. This was a loaner.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the responses. The past couple of days I've been more diligent in my procedure.

For warm-start, 1 pull with choke, then return to full throttle, for another pull, or two -- best for me so far.

One other question I failed to ask in the first post, has anybody found any difference in the warm-start (by my definition) if the engine was shut down at full throttle, or if pulled back to slow idle before shutoff? Do you let the engine run at slow idle for some time (10-15 sec) for cooldown before shutoff? How about warmup on cold-start? Do you let it warm for a short time at slow idle before full throttle? I've been told that most engine wear happens when engine is running at cold temperatures.

7. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We have two Toros with the Suzuki two strokes. We occasionally have problems with the partial cool down and taking 5 pulls to get it to restart. Normally, if we do not keep the spark plug fresh, we have problems starting.

When we start the mower cold or very hot, it only takes one pull.

Please bear in mind both of these mowers have a lot of hours on them and are an 85 and 96 models.

We too have found the side discharge chute almost worthless and use a Snapper side discharge for deep grass.

I have found the two Toros good for mulching and also bag wet grass well if the occasion calls for it.

We have switched to a synthetic oil mix since we experienced the same problem with exhaust emissions especially in cold weather. It has really made a difference both in cleaner burning exhaust and spark plug life.

We have gotten great service out of these mowers even though we only use them for real small yards or trim work.

Hope this is of help.

Craig Jones for Tim's Lawn Service
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'd try not choking it or priming it at all on the warm starts. That's what I do with mine. No problems.

I did notice I had to change the plug at least twice a season though. It likes a clean plug, but that could be just mine. Some two cycle have a hotter (or colder) spark than other models even with the same engines/ignition systems.

9. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Changed my third belt on this model in less than a year. Anyone else having this problem. It just jumps off the rear pulley and burns the belt.

Roger, would you buy the proline over the LawnBoy again if you had the choice now. Can anyone suggest a good commercial side dischage 21". Has anyone seen the new Gravely 21".

10. dlandscaping

from mass

I havent done a thing to my toro and really no one does to any of their's around here. I have had residential lawnboys older ones two stroke with bbc sp the whole nine yards but wasnt pleased wit the hsp, they just couldnt mulch thick fescue good enough. I havent had a power problem with this mower or a belt problem, yours must need some type of adjustment. I have seen mowers with 400-1000hrs on them with no belt changes.