Toro Suzuki or Kawasaki or Lawnboy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Mar 8, 2003.

?

Which mower cuts faster?

1. Lawnboy commercial

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. Toro commercial

23 vote(s)
    63.9%
  1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Which is the preferred machine:
    1. Toro proline 21" commericial with Suzuki engine?
    2. Same as above except with Kawasaki engine?
    3. Lawnboy with 6.5 hp engine?

Which unit cuts a typical 3000-4000 sq foot residential lawn with greater speed?

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Mulching, bagging or discharging? It makes a difference...
    I've had a Toro self propelled bagger and loved it and I have a Lawn Boy push now with a mulcher and love it too. Don't have the Toro anymore.

3. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I love my suzuki but it looks like I've bought my last one as they have been discontinued and I won't have the cash to buy a new one this year. I guess I'll have an opinion on the Toro 4strokes in a few years.

4. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Toro Proline 21 with Suzuki, ive been using one for 4yrs now with no problems, don't use it much but its the best darn mulching 21 ive ever used..got to love them Suzuki 4-1/2hp 2cycles...........guess well be going to the 4strokes....Marks Mowing Service

5. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

any other responses fellows?

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

ive used lawnboy 6.5 2 strokers and havent had any problems.

7. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I started in the biz. with a 21" 5.0 Suzuki 4 stroke Toro bagger with electric start and still use it to this day,That was 6 yrs ago,The elec start went the 2nd year,Then last year my guy hit a stump and bent the crank,This has the clutch so it is very costly to replce,but I did find a guy who has one that the deck is broke but the engine is good. All I have to say is good about the Suzuki 4 strokers

8. Lawn boy for me. But hurry they wont be here for long This summer is it!!! Suzuki & Kawasaki are leaving toro to this year so all you have is honda

9. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

well I had a toro and a lawn boy and the lawn boy wasn't workin right and it cut my fingers off grr I took the shotgun to it and haven't touched one again and with toro you don't have to worry about emplyees mixing gas as much

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I work solo, and had a 21 LB of the pre-Dura-Force days. The engine was rated at 5hp, not 6.5hp like the Dura-Force. I got very good service for several years. It probably has about 3,500 hours. I have short-blocked it one time, but the second one has much service still left. I was working with no backup for hand mower (I use it on most lawns, along with a 36" w/b). But, last May, a bushing on the outboard drive shafts off the tranny gave out. The shaft dropped far enough from the internal gearing so the gears would no longer mesh.

What to do? Grass growing rapidly, no time to fix. I had inquired over the Winter - new tranny, $175, and would have to be ordered.

With the press of time, I went out immediately and bought a Toro, s/p, 2 cy Sizuki. For the rest of the season, I mowed about 650 lawns with it.

I really like the Toro, and would recommend to anybody. Bagging is good, mulching is good, discharge is NO GOOD! The LB ratings: Bagging, very good, mulching is adequate, discharge is poor.

When I had a little time, I pulled the tranny apart, spent $13 on two new bushings (had to wait for two weeks for the parts!), and but it back into service as a backup/second hand mower.

I try to mulch where I can and the Toro helped promote that notion. The bags on the Toro are much larger, but more difficult to empty. I always work with two separate bags -- fill them both and carry them to the trailer (unless I'm right beside the trailer). The Sizuki runs like a champ, much better than the LB. After season, I had no build up in the exhaust port. With the LB, I had troubles a few times each season with clogged discharge ports (have since changed to Amsol synthetic 100:1 in the LB - seems to have solved the problem.

My assessment in a nutshell: LB for quality, Toro for quantity.

The Toro really covers the square feet, and stuffs grass in the bag!